+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Easy to Root Plants - Have You Found Any?

Easy to Root Plants - Have You Found Any?

As I was looking around my potted plants, I recalled the plants that I have propagated and some very recently.

OMG! Rose of Sharon has got to be one of the easiest. I cut the outermost half of the leaves off due to heat and transpiration, put them in shade and they survive and thrive.

Some plants are just plain ole easy and some plants are almost impossible.

Buddliea is another easy one, and I desperately need to do more of those because I have some pretty ones.

The only weigella that I have propagated is the variegated one, and it is now large enough to go in the border. The original one is planted where there is now shade, but still, it is gorgeous. I need to take cuttings of the others, SOON!

Thunbergia and Clerodendrum are easy, and I need to do more of those before winter kills the foliage (deciduous).

Most antique roses are easy, but I still need to try a few like the chestnut and the hot pink one that Vicki likes so much. (I do too!)

Brugsmansia is another one, and I definitely plan to do more of those before fall arrives.

Datura is not difficult, but they grow so easily from seeds that I tend to not try.

As I look around, I see so very many plants that I would not have if I didn't try to take cuttings.

Mmmmmmm.... I picked a quart of ripe figs today. The fig tree has gotten so large that I cannot reach the upper half without a ladder, but wow, are they GOOD!

So, what have you found really EASY?????
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had always assumed they were difficult, but last year I tried cuttings from a Pride of Mobile, Formosa Azalea and every one of them rooted. This year I'm doing a bunch more, just for my own landscape.

I've also found the Oak Leaf hydrangea to be fast and easy.

Both plants will tollerate more shade than many other shrubs.

The Oak Leaf has something interesting almost year around, from it's defoliating stems, colorful fall leaves, and of course the great flowers that seem to be pretty, even as they fade.

I had heard that the "Best Way" to propagate the Confederate Rose, was to place them in water. Last fall, I stuck about 8 each in water, and in rooting media. The results are now in. Most of those in water, expired. The three that did make it, really perked up when I potted them. All but two of those in moist potting soil rooted and I didn't have to keep refreshing the media like those in water.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,

The old time method used here for Confederate Rose is to use cleaned cottage cheese containers, make slits in the bottom for drainage, fill with sand. Then a cutting is taken and all leaves are removed (being careful to note which side is UP), poke a hole in the dampened sand, insert the cutting and let it grow. No winter protection is required here.

I have sent cuttings (not rooted) through the mail and told that they rooted.

I have never tried to root them in water.

I use soiless mix and do not let it dry out. I use cuttings of semi-hardwood that is about the size of a nickle in diameter. I do use rooting hormone.

The one that I have is huge. The truck has gotten really thick, and it didn't die back to the ground this past year. Only the smaller branches died.

Like brugsmansia, the roots get really big and will go through the pot into the soil quickly once they take off.

OH! Almost forgot... I rooted some cuttings of Rose of Sharon, and there were a few cuttings left over. I left them in a bucket of rain water. They have roots! I kept dipping water out for watering plants, then more rain would fill the bucket again. I kept expecting the cuttings to die, but they didn't. Guess I will pot them up, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread