+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vine Cuttings

Question Vine Cuttings

Hi, I've just recently taken cuttings from my mother plants, 827 of them! Most of them are doing really really well.

But now I am interested in clippings from my vines. I have 1 Hibiscus, 1 passion flower, and 3 clemantis I bought about 2 months ago.

I have read the information on this site and was wondering what soil to use instead of the vermiculite.... The stores here no longer carry vermiculite.

Also, how long do vine clippings take, generally before they have roots?
    Thanks,
    Kathy in Ga.

Hi, Kathy!

For your passion vine, try 1/3 sand, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 perlite.

The clematis likes cool roots and alkaline soil and peat moss is acidic, so try 1/2 sand and 1/2 perlite. This mixture will dry out fast so if you don't have a mister, so you may want to add extra soil moist and water often.

The hibiscus is really a shrub rather than a vine (at least I am not aware of a vining hibiscus). You can try the same mixture as the passion vine. If the hibiscus stem is thick hardwood, slit the rooting end with heavy scissors or shears (up to the leaf node). I make 2 slits at a 90 degree angle from each other, then dip in the hormone.

Of course, you know me, I will add a small amount of Soil Moist or equivalent to all of these.

Because I do a lot of cuttings, I purchase large bags of vermiculite for about $10.50 at Home Depot. I also buy the same size bag of perlite for the $10.50. No, I don't get a commission, but I wish I did!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hibiscus Questions

Hi, Pardon me while I play a little. There are alot of different functions on this site, and I'd like to see how they work!

Thank You for the help!
    I will have to get some perilite today, so that I can start my vines.
    Umm..Yes you are right! The Hibiscus is not a vine.

I've never owned a Hibiscus until now. They are just such lovely plants, but have always been too expensive here (Ga). A great friend gave me one of hers, and now I'm learning about them.
    Mine still hasn't bloomed yet, but I would like to take cuttings, where should I take the cuttings from? It is still small, about 1 1/2 feet tall, with a very thick main stem.

I'm also thinking, that If I cut the braches with the new growth, that I will not get to see it bloom this year. Would that be correct?

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by Kathy in GA; 08-14-2001 at 06:37 AM.

Hibisucus Cuttings

Kathy,

Most of my successful hibiscus cuttings have been with semi-hardwood, but then again, that is without mist. I use the method for stem cuttings as described on my site.

Considering the source of this particular hibiscus, I would just let it grow. I would plant it in the ground in a sunny location and keep it well watered for the first few weeks. It is a perennial in your neck of the woods. It will die back in the winter, and come back more hardy than ever next year, and it will produce seed. You can take some cuttings, but I would let some go to seed, as the seed grows so fast.

Till Later, My Friend!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread