+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dennis

Dennis

Ann, Tom and others I may have missed.

My prayers and thoughts are with you for the next several days. Please batten down your hatches and be ready. I wish there were a way to help directly, but know that we do what we can from a distance.

I'll be thinking of you lots and will follow on this thread as well as on the TV.

--SIGH--
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Thanks, Sandi!

Needless to say that Dennis is on our minds and driving a lot of activities.

Our makeup day for the summer school day that we missed for T.S. Arlene was today, so that one is behind us. I sure wish that they had waited so that I could prepare for this monster.

There is so much to do. All of the clothes have to be washed in case of an extensive power outage. Our neighbor loaned us a portable tv, so that will help. The cars are full of gas as well as every gas can just in case we have to use the generator.

Hurricane lanterns are full, and I have extra oil this time. They ran out during Ivan, and there were no candles to be found.

I'm making a list of grocery items that will keep without refrigeration. But gee, by now, all the tuna, etc. is gone at the stores.

Let's hope it does not come this way. I don't wish it upon anyone, and the scariest situation would be it taking a eastward turn and raking the coast of Florida.

My thoughts at this time are "Go AWAY!", but I know that doesn't help.

All we can do is prepare and wait....

Thanks for caring! This is not FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Evacuations

The governor has ordered evacuations of all residents south of I-10 in Alabama.

For those of you that don't know and may hear this news, I live north of I-10.

Gosh, I'll be glad when this one is OVER! Please pray real hard that we don't get hit again. Dennis has the potential to be one bad hurricane...

I wish it would just go away, but we know that will not happen. Just make sure you pray that no one is hurt by this one.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, Looks like Dennis is headed right to you. I hope not as he has too much potential to be bad.
    Be prepared and remember I think all of us pray for you and anyone else in his path. Keep us posted as long as you can.
    tennessee sue

Correction...

The governor ordered the entire Mobile County to evacuate, but then there were conditions. What they are asking is that everyone who is going to leave to do so quickly so that the roads do not become congested at the last minute.

I-65 southbound is closed to travelers coming south. All four lanes are being used to go north.

We are staying here, and everything should be fine. We have spent the morning repairing the fence, and I am bringing hanging baskets into the patio while the washing machine and dryer are running.

Windows will be boarded up in the next couple of hours. Rain is getting close, so there simply is not enough time to get everything done.

I'll stay online as long as I can.

This isn't FUN at all, but I guess you knew that.

Thanks for all of your prayers and concerns.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well... It has been a rough 4 days. We were all worn out Sunday morning when the rain started and we were watching TV as Hurricane Dennis began taking a more northerly track, and we prayed hard. I was really dreading being without power for weeks and all of the cleanup.

Then the cable went down, so we were thankful for the tiny black and white portable TV which let us know that the worst was not coming our way.

We did get a lot of strong wind, but nothing like hurricane force winds. We never lost power or the telephone, but cable just came up in the last 30 minutes or so. I hope everyone was watching the news and knew that we were going to be okay.

They opened many, many shelters at the last minute due to the building strength of Dennis. Most people know whether their homes will withstand a high category 3 or low 4 hurricane. The school where I teach was the first to fill up. That is because it is in the southern part of the county.

The boards are off the windows. I am taking hanging baskets back outside and saying lots and lots of prayers of thanks.

I have a treat that I will share with you later. It is a picture that will be posted on the Lillium forum.

Thank you so much for all of your prayers. Lots to do. School starts back tomorrow.

Oh, and before I forget. Blue (the garage kitty) happily spent the day yesterday sleeping on the seat of the riding lawn mower which was shut up tight in the garage. Blue didn't seem to mind at all that she/he could not get outside until yesterday evening when the rain turned to sprinkles. She headed outside and looked rather odd at my car which was not parked in its usual space.

She looked back at me with a look of "Oh, well..." on her face, shook the sprinkles off her fur and headed for underneath the car for awhile.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread