+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shepp how is it going?

Shepp how is it going?

Shepp have you got back on your feet yet?Let us know how you are doing...
    Thanks,
    tony b.Z-6

I haven't heard from Shepp as of late, but knowing him for the last few years, I know that he is hard at work and not one to let the weather get the better of him.

It's busy time for the nurserymen, and I know that all, including Shepp, George, you and Sue Salley amongst many others are snowed under trying to gets sales along the way.

Hopefully, they will be back soon.

I miss them, too!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

yep

as far as i can be,
    cuttings are rooting real well.
    i sold the first blooming hydrangea saturday. along with a little pink diamond hyd that was blooming.
    i saw a new one to me called "All Summers Beauty", blooms on old wood and new wood.
    whats your take on that one tony?
    sales over all have been off i think due to 2.25 per gallon of gas.
    my plants i take are the best i can offer.
    my mist bed has had chipmunks digging in the hydrangeas uprooting started plants.
    and a torential downpour washed out some sand from under one corner. but i have had excellent rooting this year.
    hope you are having a good year.
    shepp

Shepp, Glad to hear things are progressing for you now.
    I guess I am out of the business end for now anyway. I split with partner/boyfriend. Which means no greenhouse anymore. I did bring home some of my plants and plan to go get more of them
    soon. I think maybe I'll be just a plant collector some days.
    Other days I'm checking out things to take cuttings from and seeing things that neeed divided. Not really sure right now what to do. I just can't imagine not being in the plants business. I've done it for so long. It is addicting, in case none of you know that LOL.
    Maybe will just wholesale a few things if I do cuttings. Right now I just need a break, been working 55-60 hr. a week for last month.
    I will still be on forum, maybe not so much to add. I have found a home here at landspro and plan on sticking around.
    tennessee sue

Shepp,
    Glad to hear things are coming along. Dang chipmunks, gotta a cat? They do wonders for the small rodent population.
    The one I bought that blooms on old and new wood is Endless Summer. I just love it! It's been planted a couple weeks and is coming along o.k. I'm thinking of moving it as it gets about 4 hrs. morning sun and hasn't been liking that.
    At first I thought it was the one you mentioned, but when I looked for the pic I have it labled Endless summer.
    Sue,
    Sure am sorry to hear of your recent troubles. Chin up girl!
    That is alot of hours to be working, sounds like you need a rest.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Been trying to post and updated pic on the Endless Summer hydrangea. Grrr! what am I doing wrong?????
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Shepp,
    No I haven't tried 'All Summer Beauty' as of yet.Some say its remontant and some say not.I'm still trying to find a wholesale source for 'Endless Summer',hard for a little man to buy any wholesale.I'II be going to the Sourthern Nursery show in August at Atlanta,maybe I'II find some there.They are everything they say they are and more.I have two in my landscape and they out bloom the others two to one.
    Sue Sally,
    Sorry to hear about old cupid shooting his arrow your way.It'II be easy to find a boy freind,finding one with a greenhouse is the hard part.Keep in touch.
    tony b Z-6

Vicki,
    'Endless Summer' is the best mop head I've ever seen.I've had two for two years ,no matter what the Winter brings they will bloom and bloom.Mind get a little more than 4 hours of sun and I have to do a lot of watering.Sometimes when its in the high 80's- 90's a least once a day.I'm sure where you are its a little cooler than here so it should take all the morning sun you can give .
    Thanks
    tony b Z-6

Tony,
    I love it already and have only had it for a couple weeks. But it sure does NOT like so much morning sun, yet. Maybe once it settles in, it won't mind it. But I need to water it sometimes 2 times a day. The flowers seem to getting bigger and prettier everyday. Have you tried Spring Meadow Nursery. They have LOTS of great shrubs and very reasonable prices. Take Care and
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

My mom's didn't like being in the heat either. I would drench it, but the leaves would still go limp in the heat of the day. I had it in filtered shade of the big pecan because in morning sun, the leaves would droop.

The good thing is that the leaves never browned after drooping. After all, it was in a pot until it could find its way to my Mom's garden. Gosh, I missed it after it was gone. The blooms were so pretty. The petals were so tiny compared to our usual ones, and such a pastel pink when they turned colors.

I haven't tried to take a cutting of it. I didn't know whether it was patented because by the time I got it to my car, the tag was gone.

The stems are a hard wood, and not very big around. Nice hydrangea, that is for sure.

If it is patented, I wouldn't mind buying one for my gardens, but I'll have to prepare a place in the shade because I don't like to see leaves droop.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki,
    No I have not bought from Spring Meadow as of yet.I'II probably give them a try next spring.They have several plants I'd like to try.The main one is a new Sambucus called'Black Lace'.It looks alot like a lace leaf Japanese Maple but it'II be alot cheaper,I think it will be a hot seller.
    Thanks
    tony b. Z-6

Tony,
    I just got a flyer in the mail about the 'black lace' and you are right, it is way cool looking and will probably sell fast.
    Spring Meadow is not that far from me, but I still haven't
    'went' to see their operation. I know it is huge! I peruse their catalog frequently, for when the time comes for me to buy from them. Things are still slow for me on the 'backyard' nursery', but I did get my underground waterline and electric ran out to where the greenhouse will be. My cousin (who is just like a brother) brought his kabota over, and made short work of it. I was so HAPPY! One step closer!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

vickie
    where did you get endless summer.
    i will be in your area 3rd week of august.
    will be picking up an order at D&B plants near detroit.
    i may stop by spring meadows if they have endless summer.
    shepp

well i checked both D&B and spring meadows neither have endless summer , both DO have all summers beauty .
    i may have to settle for that one.and keep searchin.
    shepp

Shepp,
    They are hard for the little man to get a hold of,Spring Meadows new catalog doesn't show them having them.I going to the S.N.A. show in Atlanta next week ,thats one of the things I'II be trying to locate.None of the other macrophyllas compare with them. I think McCorkle Nursery in GA sells Endless Summer. $7.50- 8" $14.50- 3 gal. $24.50-7 gal. Their catalog says $250 min. for pick up orders, $1000 min for delivery.1-800-572-2874 www.mccorklenurseries.com
    see ya,
    tony b

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast