+ Reply to Thread

Thread: queen anne's lace

queen anne's lace

Does anyone happen to have any seeds for this flower/weed? I have found that the flowers I cut from the roadsides last longer than some of the garden flowers. I have been searching for it as available on the internet, so far no luck.
    I have red amaryllis seeds ( haven't ever tried to grow it from a seed, but I got a huge podful this year) or a few seeds from a gorgeous coleus I saw in Hawaii to trade.
    Thanks,
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

If you have ever tried to grow carrots, you know the seeds are very small. Queen Ann's Lace is in the same family, and also has very small seeds. They are contained in the flower head, and there are a lot of them. Collect the flower/seed head after it turns brown, dry it inside a paper bag, and then crumble it once it is dry enough.

You may not see the seeds, but they are there in among the flower petals, and other debris. Sprinkle that over a prepared seed bed, or seed flat early in the spring, and transplant the very small carrot looking plants before they develop the large taproot.

Like so many other plants that are classified as weeds, this one deserves a place somewhere in the landscape, even if it is off in a corner, just for cut flowers. They do reseed, but not to the point of being invasive or a problem.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, Tom
    I will try to keep my eyes peeled for when they go to seed. We don't have many growing around us, but a few at the roadsides.
    Linda
    Linda

Never found any last summer that I could harvest, and I am looking out again. I bought some Ammi Majus? from Burpee which is listed as a distant cousin of the wild variety. It is lovely, huge heads of clumps of many tiny QA lace flowers , but doesn't exactly resemble the snowflake type look of the wild QA Lace. Still it is marvelous, and really works well in flower arrangements, but wasn't what i was wanting. I will try to photograph it and post it next week, the plants are beautiful and prolific, but not the same flower I was wanting.............

Anyone happen to have collected some from last season that would trade with me for something I have??
    Linda

Here is a picture of the seeds I have, which are lovely and i will gather and share up this fall and it seems to be referred to as Bishop's Lace and it blooms 2 months from sowing....
    http://www.sunriseseeds.com/Bishop's%20Lace.0.html

And here is another calling it QA Lace????
    http://www.clyderobin.com/seeds/queen_annes_lace.htm

but this is the seed I am looking for
    http://www.gardenersnet.com/flower/pics/qal02.jpg

I will keep on looking!! The second one seems to be listed as a biennial.
    Last edited by lbfoss; 06-15-2006 at 07:59 AM.
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread