+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting new sugar maple trees

Starting new sugar maple trees

starting new sugar maple trees

I have a neighbor's sugar maple that is unique in this area. I am presently trying to grow some volunteer seedlings taken from under it , and am trying to air-layer root a couple of its branches.

What time of year is good to try grafting a branch onto a larger volunteer silver maple tree? I am in northern virginia. I am new to grafting, and raising trees at all for that matter. But this is such a gorgeous tree that I want to help preserve it for future generations. Any help on raising seedlings, getting them to grow straight, when to repot them or propagation of this tree would really be appreciated. Thanks..
    Linda
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Landspro Linda !
    I know nothing about grafting/air-layering. However, I did start a silver maple seedling last year. That makes me wonder if you have an adult sugar maple tree in your vicinity, have you noticed any brown dry seeds:
    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwmills/E...eds/seeds.html

They are usually strewn about. Plant them and you'll be up to your eyeballs in seedlings in no time !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

well I am growing some of the seedlings, but they don't have the parent's leaf shape exactly so I know they aren't an exact replica of the mother tree. that is why I want to graft a branch and get a tree going that way. But, air layering seems to be the answer and I will try that this year. I am trying to discover when the best time is to graft plants, as my softwood cuttings arent' rooting and the summer is progressing.
    thanks for your interest.
    linda
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda- I understand now. OK, I found this out on the internet about air layering sugar maple:

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_squa...anned/rp42.pdf

see page 9 about 'Time of Treatment'.

Hope this helps !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Wow, thanks a lot!! I have really enjoyed researching air-layering and this article is wonderful. I have created some protective rooting gizmos out of small water bottles that should work like the "comet" from this site http://indigo.ie/~gyrosak/index.htm
    and placed them on my favorite tree. Am hoping that by fall I will have roots, and by then know what to do next!!
    thanks for taking the time to reply, especially because I think I posted on the wrong spot!!
    Linda
    Linda

Okay , I started with about 20 volunteer seedlings I rescued from under the desired mother maple tree. I also harvested seeds, and was warned this would take a while.

I now have two saplings left that I am certain are the same as the parent maple tree. I have one in a pot, and one in the ground. 3 seasons old, one is now 3 1/2 feet tall!! A typical teenage, gangly but growing!!! One day, when I am not too old and gray, it might shade my house, but already last fall it had a wonderful color display!!!

Anyone who wants to grow a tree....I say, GO FOR IT. Time passes and trees will grow!!!
    Attached Images  
    Linda

Looking good. How are your White Buds coming along? I potted up over a dozen last year and they are 2-3 feet tall now still in pots. I also had more germinate from the same sowing this spring. So it took a year for some of the seeds to germinate. I have about 20 more now to pot up.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread