+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurricane Watch - Already!

Thumbs down Hurricane Watch - Already!

Yep! Tropical Storm Arlene is expected to come onto shore sometime tomorrow afternoon. Whether she manages to become a hurricane remains to be seen, but they have put us under a hurricane watch.

My heart sank when I looked at the accuweather forecasted track and the red line goes right over my house. After a tremendously dry May, we have had rain every day this week. The grounds are soaked, so 5-7" of rain in a short time is not a good thing right about now.

I'm busy moving hanging pots back into the patio. I certainly don't want those crashing to the ground. I still haven't finished repotting the cracked pots from Ivan.

This is too SOON!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Latest news has it moving in more to the east of us. If it does, then we will be on the side that does not get so much rain.

I have tie wrapped the gate that opened in the recent two floods, allowing debree to block the flow on the west fence.

Please pray real hard that this storm does not harm anyone. I truly hope that the waters of the Gulf are not yet warm enough to let it strengthen, and the flooding will not be that bad.

We have lost two young lives to drowning in the last couple of weeks. I do pray that all will be safe during this hurricane season.

Goodness knows that Pensacola Beach and Guf Shores cannot afford damage from more storms. My next door neighbor is still in the process of getting their roof redone, and I still see damage that has not been repaired everywhere.

Needless to say, we will be watching the weather closely...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sitting Ducks

That is what we are!!!

Just watching and waiting... The projected path has changed numerous times, but right now it is looking more like it will go on shore east of us which puts us on the good side. That's the good news.

The terrible news is that Gulf Shores and Pensacola is going to be on the BAD side and even worse, it's going to be at high tide. They still have a long way to go to recover from Ivan.

The wind is gusting once in awhile, but for the most most, it has only been 30-40mph.

Hanging in there and trying to keep my mind on something pleasant - like SEEDS!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's been raining here, 200 miles north of you, for three days now, and as those winds and rain get up here I don't know where all the water is going to go, certainly not in the ground!
    According to the maps I'm seeing, you are still in for some high winds, and lots more rain.

We are scheduled to visit the western part of Fla next weekend, if it's still there

Keep dry, and get ready for another thrill ride.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

We have been in one of the stronger bands for about an hour. My back yard is a lake, but at least this time, the fence gate is holding with those heavy duty tie wraps. As long as it holds, the debree won't block the flow of water through the west fence.

I don't see any broken scapes on the daylilies that were in bloom. I did spot a broken branch on my variegated native azalea. Just think! Now, I will have the opportunity to try my hand at rooting cuttings. LOL! You have to think positive at times like this.

It is still raining pretty heavy. The wind is still strong.

I was concerned about what would happen when Hunter's new pool overflowed. Well, now I know. It did, and it is handling it just fine.

It has been a long day, and I will be glad when this storm is OVER!

Take care, Tom! It's coming your way bringing bands of heavy rain.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    From Kansas: We had some heckuva storm last night. Weatherman was really watching hard for tornados. Really ominous 'wall cloud' over the city. The sky was dark steel grey at eye level but lighter up higher. I thought that was weird. At one point we were surrounded by and in the steel grey. Hubby looked at me and asked is this going to be a tornado. I heard a bird singing and said, 'No, hear that bird ? If it was going to be a tornado, the birds would stop singing and you'd hear nothing... until the freight train sound.' The rain came down in sheets. The lightening was scarey. My whole window well is full of water. The trees blew back and forth like crazy. The temp dropped quite a bit. We were able to open some windows after things settled a bit and the cool air felt great; I slept like a log. But we had lightning and thunder all night.
    Lilium lilies look a little beat. Daylilies OK. This is the second time that Little Rainbow bloomed after heavy rain and looked great. Maybe that's why it's called Little Rainbow.
    Supposed to get rain tonite. Groovy.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread