+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B.B trees

B.B trees

B.B trees dug this spring.

George,

That is one neat picture! They are obviously grafted. They are also obviously weeping. What type of tree is it, and can you share info on grafting these jewels?

I have a pussy willow tree. It was weeping, but the stock plant took over and the weeping died.

So, I bought this tiny weeping pussy willow, obviously grafted, and I was wondering if I could take cuttings, grow the weeping willow to the size that it could be grafted onto cuttings of the stock that once was weeping willow?

I have never grafted trees, but would love to learn how. I have pecan tree seedlings growing in my beds, and I would love to use those as stock and graft cuttings from my favorite pecan trees.

Any and all information you can share, including links, would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

B.B trees

Ann, these are Weeping Mulberry Top grafted of course.
    These and all my large trees are purchased. The demand is too high here to spend years training a tree. People today want a quality tree with a strong trunk. Too many years of waiting.

Ann you would need to grow seedlings/cuttings until desired height. At that point you can take a cutting from your Weeping Pussy Willow and graft that onto your Pussy willow.

Ann I pretty sure the propigator buys their understock. Their all nice with straight trunks.

I just recently purchased 150 Picea Pungens Glauca Top Grafted.
    Some Blue star juniper top grafted. The picea Pungens Glauca sells better here. Top grafted stock are on the rise. Ann hope I answered your question. George.

Ann we do a lot of digging of Beautiful trees. Ann by the way Ivory silk tree Standard is another great seller. Great for a small garden which a lot of new houses are. Ill post one another time.

George, Is the Ivory Silk tree the one known as Japanese Lilac Tree? They are a nice tree.
    tennessee sue

Sue the Japanese tree lilac is very similar to the Ivory silk tree lilac. Both have identical blooms. The Japanese tree lilac grows 10m compared to the Ivory Silk tree Lilac at 7.5m. The Ivory silk treelilac is a slower grower.

In the photo the Japanese lilac is on the left. Ivory silk tree lilac on the right. The japanese lilac roots hit clay and grew sideways. The Japanese lilac might be a year older. Huge difference. I had to use burlap cuz the tree guard wouldnt fit. This is a reason for hand digging. I like to see where the roots are.
    By the way My dad is on the left. The person on the right is another worker. You wont find me in pictures I dont like cameras, except taking pictues.
    By the way all trees are cut off from digging. Too hot and hazy. If I did a tree today, the leaves will start to wilt. just yukky weather. George.

Thanks George, It is Ivory Silk I have
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread