+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got busier today

Got busier today

stuck a few cuttings and have them under mist.i stuck all in 4 inch diagonal pots. aka direct stuck.i hope they all make it .wishfull thinking. 3 different lilacs 2 diff wiegelas, juddii vib. northern bayberry ,redosier dogwood, henry's garnet.P.G.hyd, pink diamond hyd,2 mockorange. all are in the small Gh . shade cloth goes on tomorrow. i may install it indoors for now.mist is on right now for 15 seconds every 10 minutes. i do believe it needs cut back by 5 secs. you can see the mist going .i am using green dramm mist sticks.
    total cuttings 800. i need to be doing 8000.the remainder will go outside in the sand beds.
    shepp
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by shepp; 06-02-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Think you're right about having the mist run for 10 seconds, every 10 minutes. I have a commercial timer that goes for 6 seconds, every 6 minutes, and that works fine. It consists of a disc, that has 60 little tabs on the outside edge. It turns once every 6 minutes. Each tab pushed down turns the mist on for 6 seconds. The tab strikes, and pushes down, a spring loaded switch. With our water pressure, I can operate 90 nozzles at a time. When I wanted more than that, I added another switch, along side of the original one so, when the disc spins, the tab first strikes one switch and, a few seconds later, the second switch.
    When I wanted another completely separate timer, but didn't want to lay out the bucks (about $120.00) to buy it, I built one from an old alarm clock, and a switch (from Radio Shack - under $2.00) Total cost was less than $10.00. That one turns once every 10 minutes, and the mist goes on for 10 seconds, which, also, works just fine.

If anyone would like diagrams, and instructions, for building a timer like this, send me an e-mail.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

i cut the mist this morning back to 10sec's every 10min's
    its extremely overcast. i use intermatic timers and have never had a failure due to timers working. i also set the timer at 9:30 to 6 pm.
    its nothing that you can ever walk away and think its ok. overcast skys one day and blistering the next and the mist needs another 5 sec's.vigilence of watching the weather channel and it doesnt hurt to step outside and take a look for yourself too.
    shepp

Shepp you have just described my rationale for using the Mist-A-Matic controller. This thing replaces the intermittant and 24 hour timmers. It automaticly compensates for low/high humidity and other drying conditions. There is only one "setting" and that is the counter ballance at the back, which controls the wetness. Some days it will only turn the mist on once ever 30 mins to an hour, other times it will cycle on for 10 sec. every 10 mins.
    I have one 24V power cord that runs to it, and then one that runs to the 24V solinoid. The water and controller stay on 24X7, and if it is very dry conditions the mist will actually come on at night if needed.

On major drawback is it has no capability to control different zones. Every thing gets the same amount of mist, based on the setting.

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1311

I know they seem expensive, but they are the nearest thing to 'set it and forget it' I have found.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

I am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of controllers.

My biggest problem seems to be the diversity of plants that I mist. Some like lots of moisture and drink like horses whereas others will not tolerate as much moisture on the leaves. We already have to much humidity (TODAY is not exception).

Since I don't have a regular mist system, just the Arizona Mist, I either turn on the timer or manually swith on the mist. Right now, it is manually switch on the mist because I have some work to do on the mist nozzles. Some of the connectors are also leaking.

But what can I say? My seedlings and cuttings love the cooling effect from the mist as well as the 'drink'!

John, I would love to see your diagram. I can't avoid anything expensive.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tom

If you are using the mist heads from Mortons.You can change out the tips in different sections of your propagation bench. I too have the same set up as you. The mist heads I use over the Mist a matic are red but further down the bench I use the gray and black tips. Black will put out about 1/2 less water than the red tip. Good way to wean your cuttings.They are 25 cents each through Mortons
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread