+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get rid of ants?

How to get rid of ants?

Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought this was the closest category...

I have a few ant hills in my front lawn and I am wondering if anyone knows of any methods to eliminate them short of using chemicals.

Or is this something that I want to eliminate? ie. Can you give me any reasons to leave them alone?

Thanks

Andrea in Canada

Andrea, some say the ants are beneficial--I don't know. But, if you want to get rid of them, hot boiling water will help. The idea is to get the queen with the heat. HBW is also supposed to get rid of weeds in cracks of the cement walks, etc.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Hot water for Ants

Sandi,
    Thank you very much!

I'll try hot boiling water.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Andrea,

We have the dreaded fire ants that entered into our port on a babana boat many years ago along with all the other kinds. In Master Gardener training, I learned about a fire ant bait called AMDRO. It seems to be working, but is not cheap.

However, it beats the expense of chemicals and seems to do a more thorough job.

Still, there is an ant hill that pops up here and there after a lot of rain. They also get into my potted plants, and I will not use chemicals on those.

Actually, they tend to pop up a lot, but I am working on it.

Here is the link...

http://www.amdro.com/Amdro/index.html
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Amdro Products

Ann,
    Thanks for the info ,and the link. The site had some very useful suggestions about getting rid of ants/timing, etc.

I have never heard of fire ants before, but isn't it wonderful to be linked up with people all over North America (and beyond probably) on this formm. It is interesting to hear about what other people are having to deal with as they garden.

Thanks,

Andrea in Canada

You are fortunate not to have fire ants -- the bite or sting is awful. I use a bait product on them but new mounds pop up all the time! I don't want to resort to poison but I also don't want to get stung again. I understand that they are moving north every year.

Our MG group had a demonstration for the community on getting rid of them -- representives of the companies that make poison and bait products were there and the courthouse lawn was treated as part of the demonstration.

There is an organic product marketed by Organic Plus-- the primary ingredient is diatomaceous earth and pyrethrin. The call it "Fire Ant Killer" but, I have tryed it and it seems to me that the ants just move their mound.

ANT CONTROLE (ASPERTAME)

Hi;
    Aspertame a sugar substitute can be put on ant hills,the ants carrie to the food supply and they die,I don't know this for a fact yet,the ants went dormat for the winter.
    I have red ants that make ant hills about 2' high i put a teaspoon of aspertame (a sugar replacer)on the hills. I don't know if the aspertame worked because the ant went dormat for the winter .
    Apertame will kill fire ants , you may have to dampen it after you put it on the hill so they will carry it to there food supply and kills them.
    You can buy aspertame in any food store as a sugar replacer for people that have to reduce there sugar intake.
    Got the aspertame idea from a post on dave garden forum.
    If you try the aspertame on a ant pile let us all know how you did!
    John Sweaney Zone 8

Hi;
    Aspertame trial i did this fall in 2006 was done just before the ants went into there dormat life here in washington this fall,so i am not shure if the aspertame killed the ants yet.lWill have to wait till spring to know for shure.
    I got the idea from a post from Daves garden forum.
    John Sweaney Zone 8

Blog Entries

Carpenter Ants

My bathroom has been invaded by Carpenter Ants coming through a small opening in the moulding around the window. I hate to spray but it was ridiculous. The winged ants are the worst(they aren't termites). I even had them in my shower cap--yes, I put it on and then thought what was that (as I was putting it on and saw something flash by that didn't look right). Augh !
    Of course, after spraying I washed everything down to get rid of pesticide residue--including the blinds-I even had to get spray on the towel rack as it's below the window.
    Mid-morning today, they were back. I sprayed again. I have traced them to next to the foundation and up a pin oak and at the base of the pin oak. I read that they can have up to 20 satellite nests with 1,000 ants per nest. I know there are also some out near the pond where the previous owner used landscape lumber on a raised bed. I can see those ants as clear as day but didn't think much about them because they were so far away.
    We'll give it one more day, but I think it's time for the Orkin man.
    Ick !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Bayer chemical company makes a very effective poison for termites and ants. It's good for five tears,but it's not rated for use inside. I've noticed that it kills roaches,too. It could be sprayed or painted around the base of the house,where they crawl up. Lowes sells it here.If the hole of entry is between the trim and the window casing,caulk can stop entry. If the opening is between the trim and the window,and if the window and the trim are wood,a felt strip can be tacked around the trims edge, tightly enough to exclude even small ants.If the window is metal, the felt would have to be glued, with rubber cement or contact cement. Fire ants have killed invalids in Florida,more than once.
    Del

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    My bathroom has been invaded by Carpenter Ants coming through a small opening in the moulding around the window. I hate to spray but it was ridiculous. The winged ants are the worst(they aren't termites). I even had them in my shower cap--yes, I put it on and then thought what was that (as I was putting it on and saw something flash by that didn't look right). Augh !
    Of course, after spraying I washed everything down to get rid of pesticide residue--including the blinds-I even had to get spray on the towel rack as it's below the window.
    Mid-morning today, they were back. I sprayed again. I have traced them to next to the foundation and up a pin oak and at the base of the pin oak. I read that they can have up to 20 satellite nests with 1,000 ants per nest. I know there are also some out near the pond where the previous owner used landscape lumber on a raised bed. I can see those ants as clear as day but didn't think much about them because they were so far away.
    We'll give it one more day, but I think it's time for the Orkin man.
    Ick !
    Cathy,

Go to the grocery/Wal-Mart and get yourself a box of good old 20-Mule Team Borax laundry additive. Borax will kill/discourage the ants and is not harmful to pets or plants. Lay a line of it as close to the inside access area as you can and then another line of it where you see or think they are coming up from the ground.

I used it last year for the little black ants that invade my kitchen and need to do it again!

Also, sprinkle some in the bottom of your trash cans both under and inside the liner and that helps with them there. AND it does wonders for your laundry!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread