+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Brugsmansia

Sanguinea trumpets should reach a length of up to 8 in.
    B.sanguinea can access a length of up to 13 ft in its natural habitat - but I doubt that my little shrub is capable of that (and I don't want to test that

The angel's trumpets out of the other group, suaveolens etc. might generate flowers which exceed 14" !

Single White

I managed to have 3 flushes of blooms. It sure was pretty.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

A Surprise!

I really didn't expect to see this! It's the first time that my original brugmansia (in the ground) has produced a seed pod. Since I didn't hand pollinate it, it has to be a 'bee' pod.

Unfortunately, I don't know how old this pod is or if it will have time to mature before our first hard freeze. It should be safe for the next two weeks, but who knows after that?!??!

We set a record high today of 80 degrees.

Here's the pod:
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Congratulations, Ann!

This seems to be a good year for brugmansia fruits; I read about spontaneous formation of seed pods, in Germany, on several occasions.

Nevertheless, the fate of these fruits is very uncertain. They need a couple of months to become completly mature, and before that, they are of no use. That means that regrettably, they cannot be taken off prematurely and ripen after at a safe place

Furthermore, I do not know what is to happen if you broke the whole branch with its fruit off and put it into water before the first "real" frost.
    But, in fact, I would try that!

Thank you, Hans-Werner!

My thoughts, EXACTLY!

Since I am just now spotting this pod (life has been unusually hectic), I have no idea as to how long it has been there.

It was 80 degrees again today, but the temps are expected to drop to near 30 this weekend. Fortunately, this one is somewhat protected from north wind.

Frost cloth is an option, but this branch is taller than me, and I'm not sure that I can protect the whole plant (including the main trunk) because it is so big.

Anyway, if there is even a possibility that the pod would be frost bitten, I will make a cutting and place it in water.

Right now, the plant is sprouting new leaves. The bigger leaves melted during the last 'frost'.

Next to this one is a subtropical hibiscus that I have had for many years. It is even more protected (by the curly privet which has gotten huge), and I am so pleased to see it still has green leaves and blooms.

I won't cry or pout if this pod is lost, but I will try my best to save it. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Low temps tomorrow night, but no lower than we have had so far, so I am going to cover this particular branch with frost cloth.

If the mother plant freezes, I will take a cutting, put it in water and try to let it finish ripening in my bedroom where it is warm, and I can provide ample light.

Hopefully, Mama will not freeze. The pod is lumpy and appears to be close to being ripe.

We will see...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well...

I wrapped that one tall branch with frost cloth and covered the portion that is close to the ground. My neighbors probably think that I have decorated for Halloween rather than Christmas because it sure does look like a ghost!

LAS! The Ghost of Christmas...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow!

Am I lucky or what?

The ghost is still present, and as sooon as I got home, I checked underneath. Leaves are melted (I should have wrapped tighter), but the stems of the wrapped and unwrapped look just fine.

The major branches are too big to make cuttings. I can barely get my fingers around them.

I suspect that I will only be able to keep this pod going until the 1st of the new year. If it is not ripe by then, I really do need to make a cutting and put it in water to see if it will survive.

So far so good!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Saw a pretty 3 colors in one Angel Trumpet(that's a Brug , right?) in the Sunday ads. I know the selling company(MB) doesn't have the best reputation but something must live every now and then and what business model is 'let's grow plants , kill them and sell them'.
    Anyway --is 5.99 (+ shipping) reasonable to pay or do nurseries sell for less ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

When I saw your post earlier today, I was absolutely in awe! Smiles were all over my face.

On Friday, my school secretary told me that her husband wanted a "trumpet vine" that he saw advertised.

Curious, I asked her more and she pulled out her purse and retrieved a black and white copy of the ad. YUP! It was Michigan bulbs and $5.99 as you stated as well as the description saying 3 colors.

Now, I don't know if this is grafted or three rooted cuttings in a single pot, but I am curious. I told her that if it is a graft, then she probably will need to wrap that graft every winter if the graft is above ground.

Brugsmansia, here die completely to the ground when there is the first long and hard freeze, so if the graft is above ground, the three colors may be lost. It would revert to the color of the root stock.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I've been curious about that one as well. $5.99 is AWEfully tempting. Curiosity's suppose to 'kill the cat' but since I don't have one it usually gets my budget about this time every year instead. ;-(
    Patsy

Patsy, one thing for sure, as I advised the school secretary, she can take cuttings of each color, root them and overwinter them, then plant the three plants in the ground and see if they are hardy here.

FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The item you are seeing in the Michigan Bulb catalog is a trick. Sadly, it's just three plants in one pot. Please don't waste your money.

There are several places you can get healthy rooted plants at a reasonable price. I have had great experiences with www.kartuz.com and www.countrygdn.com

Also, there are number of eBay sellers that provide TOP quality plants. In particular Eddie DeWayne.

This is a variety called 'New Orleans Lady' that I purchased from Eddie on eBay:

This is a double variety, and has an incredible fragrance.

Ryan

I suspected that, Ryan, and I warned the secretary that this may be the case.

She was concerned because they haven't shipped yet, but she should get them soon. They delay shipment due to winter freezes.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Ryan and Ann. I'd thought the same but also thought that if that were the case $5.99 wouldn't be so bad for 3 separate plants! Since I already have several (thank heaven they don't have to stay in pots ) I skipped it anyway. I did recently purchase a supposed Brug cousin-Iochroma cyaneum Royal Blue. It has little 1 1/2" blooms that look purple. I plan to post when it recovers from repotting and blooms again. Anyone know anything of it?Hi
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast