Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Brugsmansia

Single white

single white
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

You all know I love the yellow. The blooms are so big. Very pretty.
    tennessee sue

The yellow is gorgeous!

Vicki, you are doing quite well with your collection!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Single white 2nd bloom

My single white is blooming again!
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I have repotted the brugs into the biggest pots I could find,
    now i have to move them with a dolly (handtruck). But they are all loaded with buds again and I think they are still growing. My friend and I are going to overwinter them in her
    basement. Good thing she has a big basement. LOL! They are getting huge.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I ended up taking a bunch of cuttings off my brugs, but they slowly rotted away.

But I did stick the rootballs down in the crawlspace, I think I need to go check on them. The snow has melted here, so hopefully spring is on it's way.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blooming Question

Hey Folks!
    Haven't posted on here for ages but I have a question about my one Brugsmania and I knew where to come to ask.
    It was given to me last summer about mid July by a collector of Brugs. He had probably a dozen different varieties and they were large mature plants in full bloom. What a sight to behold!
    Anyway, we traded one of my daylilies for one of his Brugs, but he didn't know which variety it was for sure but thought it was a peach color. The plant was about 4 feet tall and woody with plenty of leaves but not blooming yet. He said he takes his indoors in the winter (Ohio) and brings them back out to grow in full sun.
    Well, mine never bloomed last summer. I wintered it over in my basement (68-70 degrees) and it continued to have some nice foliage but no blooms.
    I brought it back out about mid-May and it has lots of nice healthy foliage on it but not a sign of a blooom anywhere and here it is mid July! Shouldn't it be blooming yet? I fertilized it with Osmacote when I first brought it out in May and have even fertilized it with Miracle Grow but still no blooms. What am I doing wrong?

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

" Y's "

A brug has to Y before it will bloom . A Y is when the trunk or a branch splits to from a Y .
    It's a puberty stage the plant has to goes thru before it will produce seeds .
    The only way around this is to take a cutting from after the Y . It will probably bloom within 6 or 7 months .
    The Y produces chemicals that tell the plant it's time to make flowers .
    I have 3 year old plants / cuttings that haven't Y'ed yet .
    Another thing - when it flowers , it's called a flush and the 2nd or 3rd flush is generally the color of flower . 1st and 2nd flush is just the plant stretching -
    Be patient it's worth it .

Becki,
    Brugs are heavy feeders. I fertilize mine every week with double dose miracle grow (it is in a huge pot). They also like lots of water, lots.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Brugs Help

Thanks you two for your comments. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My brug has two 'Y's'. One at the top and one at the base of the plant. Still no buds.
    I fertilized it with Osmacote (time released and good for several months) in May and it gets watered every day. I got it last summer in June and the man said it was a cutting he took the year before. When I got it last year it was already 3-4 feet tall which was some cutting.

Maybe it's just not old enough.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

A Y looks like a T when it starts - both sides branches same size . A branch is not a Y . Plant continues to grow but not really up just out .
    Hope this makes sense .

Last Y I was so lucky to receive some seeds of
    B.sanguinea x B."roter Vulkan"
    The latter (the pollen donor) is, as the name does indicate, a B.vulcanicola hybrid (deep red)

I received one healthy seedling, finally, and I document, for now, without many words, the proceedings up to the maiden bloom of this pretty angel's trumpet which opened today:

After having grown during winter under fluorescent tubes:

One week ago:

3 days ago:

Yesterday:

Today

Thank YOU! Thank YOU! Thank YOU!

I have some seeds for this one,but I am embarassed to say that I have not yet planted them. Perhaps, soon...

How big are the blooms? I have always been curious, but haven't looked that up....

Pretty, pretty, pretty, and the leaves are quite shapely. I like that!

Thanks for sharing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you Ann.

I guess that B.sanguinea and hybrids thereof are not suitable for your climate. Too hot! You know that the species originates from the cool, misty mountains in Columbia and Ecuador.

Now, look at that.
    I cannot stop beholding my little treasure (the total length of that flower is 6.0 inches)

Brugmansia luzifer - the modern garden illumination

Depending on the monitor, colors are reproduced too weak as I see now. That applies particularly for the last image.

Thanks for more of the gorgeous pictures!

The length of the blooms on mine (in the ground) are 7-8 inches. I don't know why, but I was expecting yours to have shorter blooms. 6" is quite nice!

The leaves remind me more of Datura leaves which makes the foliage very nice.

Do you know how big the plant gets? My brugs get taller then me every year and die to the ground in the winter. Their roots are huge, as well as the stems/branches.

Nice, Hans-Werner!

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast