+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Brugsmansia

Andrea,
    Yes, I do have a pic, but it's kinda blurry. See what I mean?
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I still have not seen my brug bloom, but there is 16 buds on it!!!! Here's an updated pic.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Brug bloomed

Here is a pic of my Brugmansia blooming! It did get nipped by frost, but there are still tons of buds on it in different sizes.
    Hopefully we'll have a couple more weeks of weather, so it can finish blooming.
    What fun to grow this.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Wow! Vicki!

How pretty! Yours looks a lot like the one that was given to me, but perhaps a little more orange.

I know that I can and will take cuttings of the pink ones very soon. They are doing well despite the tropical storms and hurricanes coming through here.

I know it is not a good time to ship rooted cuttings to anyone up north now, but if I can manage to overwinter some of these, then perhaps some of you would like to have some?

I would need help with postage, though. That is all that I ask. I cannot afford to do more than that.

My double white datura bloomed yesterday. Most of the double/triple purple lost seed pods during Katrina. They are trying to recoup.

Next year is another year.... Hopefully, these storms will not attack our part of the gulf again next year. We had our turns the last two years, so it is time for them to go elsewhere. Don't you think?

So, who wants some pink brugs next spring?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I would gladly pay postage anytime for starts of plants from you. Pink being my favorite color, I will definitely be interested. Thanks Ann! and I sure hope them hurricanes give you guys a break next year.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Ann, you have two purple brugs I'm interested in. If you happen to take cuttings of those guys, I'd be grateful enough to pay postage and a little more.

Vicki, yours is beautiful. I hope the weather does hold. We've had one frost (30 deg), but lows in the 30's for about a week and a half.

I'm still in awe over the three brugs growing in a church yard in Naples, IT. They were about 15' high and loaded with blooms. We are at about the same latitude here, but the temps are quite different during the winter.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Naples IT, what a world traveler you are, you lucky lady!!!

Well the brug did bloom some more, but alot of the buds fell when the temps dropped to 29. It's in such a big pot and got huge! No where near 15', but 7 ft. easily. So there was no dragging it in the house.

I chopped it down, and am going to try to overwinter the rootball, in my brothers garage.

It is not frosting here, only did 2 nights, daytime temps around 60 and night lows, in the high 30's.

Did you get to sniff them at night? The brugs in Italy that is.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I hate it when I am so 'snowed' under at work and miss a post. If I had seen this, I would have recommended trying to root a couple of those chopped stems. Most varieties root very easily, although some tell me there are a few that aren't quite as easy.

I only have three varieties and two of those are new to me. They say that they don't self seed which is why I guess I never get seed.

I now have a peaches and cream which did not bloom and is overwintering in the enclosed porch. I also have a yellow one that was given to me as a rooted cutting. It is really pretty. I potted it up to a 3 gallon pot, but it rooted into the ground, so I took a few cuttings from it. They are in water on the porch and have rooted and need to be potted for awhile before transfering to the garden.

I have some more pink ones that have rooted in the porch (through the pot holes). I'll simply make more cuttings of those, pot them and hopefully get them in the ground to become established before next winter. I also have a bucket of these in water that have rooted.

I do love this plant. I wish that it didn't die to the ground, but at least they do come back here. I spotted some new growth comng up this afternoon.

Let us know how yours does over the winter...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I received a catalog recently--Select Seeds-- www.selectseeds.com --out of Union, CT. It has a lot of Brugs and Datura plants for $4.95-10.95 each. They also list a book on the same subject. I will be sending for some and see what I can do. Hopefully, I can winter over some cuttings each year. Worth a try anyway.

There are a lot of other beauties in the catalog, also--some plants, some seeds. I have dogeared many a page. It will be fun to see what I can do with the many plants as a result.

The remodel is about finished and much stuff is put away. I will now be able to build my basement nursery and start some seeds. DD has offered to hire a male type student for about 8 hours per week (two days of four hours each) to help me in the yard! At first, I wondered what I would do with him, but think I will manage. I do get overwhelmed with all there is to do, and this will force me to plan better, and prioritize. I look to order about 30 yards of mushroom compost this season, and have wheelbarrows. Will build many beds to house all the plants and seeds I want to grow. I will also get several trailer loads of leaf mulch from the township. Then, look out!!!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Oh Sandi, that mushroom compost and leaf mulch elicits the same response as the Krispy Kreme Bread pudding I just saw Paula Deen make today. Mulch and compost--great stuff !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

WooHoo!

Oh goodness, I'm so excited!!! A friend off my other group is sending me a box of rooted cuttings. 6 different brugs.
    Jean Pasko, Frosty Pink, Dr. Seuss, Canary Bird Yellow, versi peach, and a single white. Ohh, my heart is pitterpattering. LOL!

p.s. The root ball to my Charles G. didn't make it.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Oh, MY! You are doing very well, huh?

Those are some nice selections. I only have three varieties and the only one of those that is actually 'named' is Peaches and Cream. Even though I overwintered it, it is still only one main stem. I think that perhaps this summer, it will be ready for more sun. It was such a tiny thing when I got it.

The pink one that is in my yard grows super fast and gets very, very big. I have numerous rooted cuttings that will go into the ground when school is out. Then, I can start more cuttings.

The yellow one that was given to me rooted through the pot, so instead of digging it up, I took cuttings. Those are now in pots, but the original one in the pot has not come back up. I'll have to make sure that I keep at least a few cuttings every year in case that one is not quite as hardy.

My pink ones that have been in the ground for a few years now, are really looking great. They are much more dense or am I just remembering how they were after the hurricanes last season? Anyway, they are beautiful, just not blooming yet.

Vicki, be sure to root smaller cuttings just in case the larger ones get too stressed in the pots. Most will do just fine overwintered in pots, but just in case, play it safe. You have some really nice ones, and I know they will bring you a lot of joy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

New brugs

Here's a recent pic of the new brugs I got from a friend.
    They are really getting some nice leaves and I will be putting a few of them in the ground. And the rest if BIG pots.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Looky what I found

Looky what I found on my versi peach brugmansia.
    Yeah!!!
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Canary Bird

Canary Bird
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast