Thread: Brugsmansia

Threaded View

Brugsmansia

My first Brugs bloom...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, that is lovely! If it produces seeds, could you spare a few? I'd be happy to pay for the shipping and for your time and effort. I want to try these things and see if I can do as Sydney Eddison does: she takes cuttings and winters them over inside and then replants in the spring for her patio garden in pots. One has to read her new book with the book stretched out in front in order to keep the drool from marring the pages.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Sandi,

They say that unlike Datura, the seeds to not come true, and you have to have more than one variety to produce seeds.

I'd rather send you a rooted cutting. That way, you would have blooms for sure by next spring.

I have started many of this variety from cuttings, then planted some in the ground and overwintered some.

A gardener at the Grand Bay Garden Club gave me a yellow one a couple of weeks ago. It is still small, but I am thrilled. I wanted a yellow one.

I was lucky and found a peaches and cream variegated, but it is still too small for cuttings and has not yet bloomed.

Hang in there, and surely I will manage to root you a couple this summer to send to you.

This particular one fascinates me because the blooms start out green, then yellow and as they open turn pink. It's neat!

This morning's picture (before badly needed rain ran me back inside). There is a fifth bloom in the back that you can't see.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Brugmansia yellow leaf/drop

Ann,

Your pictures of your blooms of Brugmansia are great!

I am new to Brugs....put my cutting out in the sun for the first time yesterday. Some leaf wilt/transparent areas on leaf, and some leaf drop.

Is this bad? WIll it recover?

Have you ever had this?

It is sauvoleons, frosty pink.

Thanks,
    Andrea in Canada

Andrea,

Your cutting is rooted? How long has it been rooted? If it hasn't been very long, then it may not have large enough roots to sustain enough moisture in full sun.

In any event, if the leaves turn yellow and then fall off, smaller leaves should start to replace them, and that is okay.

I'd be more concerned about it having enough roots to be in full sun. It wouldn't hurt to put a 'saucer' of some sort of water under the pot to make sure that the soil stays moist until it adapts to the sun.

How big is the cutting, and how big is the pot it is in?

Oh! Almost forgot that some say that they have to be in partial shade, even here, but I find that the humidity at my home is high enough that they normally do fine in full sun once the roots are well established.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Brugmansia yellow leaf/drop

HI Ann,

Thanks for your reply.

The cutting was purchased on Mother's Day (May 8th/05). I transplanted as soon as I got it to a clay pot that has an interior diameter at the top of 10.5 inches, and a base diameter of 6 inches. The pot is about 9 inches high. The cutting currently measures in at 14 inches high from soil to top growth. There is one root visible at the drainage hole at the base of the clay pot.

I am not sure if it is the sun (I left it out all day the first day). Perhaps I should have just given it a couple hours of sun at a time.

When I first got it, I made of the mistake of giving it a fertilizer with high phosphorus (but I thought it had recovered from that mistake). At that time the leaves turned a bit yellow, but I don't think any fell off.

Last week, I noticed that two leaves fell off due to the soil being dry.

Because it was so damp and cold here, it has not had a lot of sun due to the fact it rained here for about 21 days straight. Our frost date just passed on May 31. So I thought I would put it in the sun on that day, so it could start the hardening off process and stay outside for the summer months.

Ihe leaves seem to be getting much paler yellow as I put it out each time in the sun. I really have no idea what I am doing to be honest with you. I have searched it carefully for spider mites, but no evidence.

Thank you,

Andrea in Canada

Having seen a couple of my tiny brugs new growth did after being de-headed by flooding debree, I realize more than ever how hardy these plants are. They can take a lot of abuse, and as long as they have roots, they will do fine.

Regarding the clay pot, it may not retain the moisture needed for brugs. They need lots and lots of water. In fact, if you leave them in submersed water for long periods of time (days and weeks), they will continue to form fine roots and not show evidence of harm.

You might want to consider repotting it to a big, plastic pot with a saucer that maintains excess water. These things drink a LOT. I suppose that is due to the big leaves.

In any event, I believe yours will be just fine. They need warmth, and you might want to transition them to full sun by protecting them during the middle of the day.

Brugs are neat! Let us know how yours does...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Slowly improving

Ann, My frosty pink is slowly improving. I read somewhere to give it magnesium, so I gave it epsom salts and things really began to turn around after that. It was amazing.

Magnesium is a good thing, but be careful that you don't give it too much.

Brugsmansia are supposed to be heavy feeders, but somehow, I never get a chance to feed them too much.

I think what they need most of all is moisture, and the rest just makes them that much better!

Enjoy! I hope to have plenty to spare in time...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

What happens if you give it too much? I think I am a danger to this plant.

No worry...

The best thing to do is to get your soil tested every few years.

Since yours is in a pot, you will end up having to replace the soil every few years anyways.

In the meantime, if your plant looks happy, I wouldn't worry. You will know when it is not happy.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My 1st burg

I got this cutting a few weeks ago. It's Charles grimaldi
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Here's my Charles G. now 2 weeks later. I think it's past time to feed it. Also what can I do for whiteflies on it? Insecticidal soap? Thanks!
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

first bud

My brug has it's first bud. I'm so excited!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi Vicki,
    Do you have a picture? You are so lucky...I keep waiting for a bud....I guess I'll have to keep waiting! SO happy for you!

Andrea

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast