+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NOT great gardening weather today !

Blog Entries

NOT great gardening weather today !

It's supposed to hit the upper 90's today--I heard 99 ! And it's sunny out. I think I'll be doing inside cleaning today. Should be a high of 80 tomorrow and I can get back out there.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yikes!

99...wow, is that record hot or anything? I'm trying to imagine my garden getting that hot at this time of the year (or anytime for that matter), we would have a lot of damaged plants.

Have you been thru this kind of heat, esp. in May, before?

I do remember many of our real hot days have been in May, for some reason. Walking home from Sport's days at school, always in May, that hot sun was unbearable. Partly cuz us humans are also not used to the heat yet, but it really has been up close to 90F sometimes this time of year.

Nothing to wish for tho, the usual May weather is my idea of perfect, just comfy!!!

Glen

May Days Temps

Our May daytime highs are usually around 85, and that is what we have been getting.

It's hard to explain about the Gulf Coast, but we have somewhat warmer winters and milder summers than some of our inland friends. BUT, we are stuck with high, high humidity, even in times like now. I have not had rain in over 3 weeks. We get floods followed by NOTHING.

Forecasted rains often pass me by, but what can I say... The sprinklers are running as I speak.

Still, a high in the 90's seems a bit too hot for this time of the season. I am not looking forward to those temps.

Hang in there, and enjoy the air conditioning!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I really don't recall any upper 90's temps in May. I'll have to see what the weatherman says about that tonight. I am worried about my plants and will do a check this evening. It was in the 90's on Thursday as well, and we had beaucoup humidity as it had rained the day before. I hope this 90's thing stops soon. It is more typical of July and 100+ is typical of August/September. It's just misearble gardening here in summer. At some point you just want to throw your hands up to the blazing sun and yell ' OK, you win !' From June onward, gardening becomes an evening task. I should get one of those coal miner hats with a light on it, and I'll be all set !(I recall last summer holding a flashlight under my arm while trying to navigate a wheel barrow in the dark -LOL!)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ooops!

I think you sent the heat our way. They have changed the forecast to 94 degrees F. tomorrow, and gee, it already seems mighty hot out there right now.

We need the rain. The ground is getting hard as a rock. The weeds don't seem to mind, yet!

Hunter is in luck, though. Since his pool collapsed just after Ivan, he has a new one, and although it is taking forever to fill it, the heat will warm the pool faster. Gotta look on the bright side...

I hope it fills up soon, because I need the hose to water the front bed before everything decides to collapse!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow! HEAT Wave...

Cathy and All!

That heat wave made it down south yesterday. We tied a record of 97 degrees, and for here, that is high even for the summer months.

It has cooled back to normal temps, and unfortunately, we are definitely lacking in rainfall. So far, this month has only produced a trace (0.04") of rain.

School is out. My chores are complete for the most part. So, it is GARDEN TIME for me! I will be doing most of my weeding, planting and propagating during the cooler morning hours, and let those hoses run in the afternoon to water my thirsty plants.

Wow! This has been one busy year, and it has gone fast. Hopefully, the summer will slow down some, and I will be able to get lots and lots done around here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread