+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pitcher Plants and My Childhood

Pitcher Plants and My Childhood

Well, everyone! If you have not figured it out by now, I grew up in an area surrounded by wetlands.

In the wooded areas nearby, there were pitcher plants all over the place, as well as a flower we called buttercups. Most of the time you would just see yellow ones, but when I saw a red one, I was always in awe. They are beautiful.

I found this url tonight while looking for 'parrot lily' which a lady show me last night (neat and gorgeous!) at the garden club meeting.

Take a peak at my childhood memories...

http://floridata.com/ref/s/sarr_spp.cfm
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    How beautiful and simply awesome !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I WANT ONE. Actually I bought some seed last year. Nothing up yet but someone told me his took 18 months to germinate so I am still hopeful. They are just so wierd looking.
    tennessee sue

I hope this summer to visit a natural bog area, and perhaps I could collect some seeds. The ones I tried before germinated really quickly but I didn't have time to maintain them.

Let me know how well yours do, Sue! These naturilized very well where I grew up. I suspect that you will not get the buttercup flowers for awhile, but it would surprise me if you didn't see growth rather quickly. They need lots of humidity and moist soil and warmth.

These plants are truly awesome when you see them in person. The flowers are especially unusual but the plant itself is a treat! I cannot explain because I grew up with them. Even then, they were awesome.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread