+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grand Bay Garden Club - Second Time

Grand Bay Garden Club - Second Time

Tonight, I gave my second propagation presentation for this club. The club has really grown, and the room was filled with garden enthusiasts eager to ask questions.

I have to tell you that I have not had so much fun in over two years. It was informal. I didn't have much time to prepare, and it was steamy hot this afternoon when I took cuttings.

The cuttings consisted of the purple lady banks rose, the Chestnut rose, Thunbergia Battiscombie, lavender Buddleia (the one that gets huge) and other antique roses.

One lady brought a few amaryllis seed pods. One had opened, but another was still quite green and had a yellow spot. I asked if I could crack the latter open to take a peak. She said okay, and sure enough the seeds looked ripe.

Questions went on and on and on, and we all had a lot of fun. I have been invited back on a specific date in October.

I think the biggest hit was the Buddleia. The plumes are huge with more and more forming. This is the one that was scraggly when I bought it for $1 and ended up filling a 10' X 10' bounded garden. I have to cut it back several times a year because it grows so well. This lead to a discussion of the soil test that I had done on this bed (with unusual results for our area) and a history of this particular bed.

Oh! And some of the original members who were there before brought me gifts. One gave me a beautiful gift bag with a pink Justicia that she had rooted, along with two angel ornaments. Another one greeted me at the door asking if I had a yellow brugsmansia. I told her I only had pink. She had one rooted for me as well as a 'sun loving' fern. All were beautiful plants and such gracious gifts. I felt so honored!

Gosh! I had so much fun! Garden Clubs are a good thing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Brugsmansia

The yellow Brug that was given to me as a gift at the meeting has its first bloom, and it is gorgeous even after a heavy rain...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

An Insider's View

Since it takes two different kinds to cross them, I can now cross them. I can't wait to make more of this one so that they can go in the garden.

Same Brug...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The yellow brug is gorgeous. How does it smell? I'm growing my first brug this year. It's looking pretty good. It hasn't y'd yet, but hopefully soon, I'm hoping to see blooms this year.
    Here's a pic I took this evening.
    It's a Charles Grimaldi
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread