+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little Red Bugs

Little Red Bugs

What are these critters? The only place I have seen them is on a tall weed that I am constantly trying to pull before it goes to seed.

Just curious...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Ann,

They look like the red aphids I get on my swamp milkweed. Perhaps your 'weed' is milkweed?
    http://www.skydancers.com/images/nei...od/aphids.html

Newt
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Thanks, Newt!

They do look a lot like aphids, and I did a search for red aphids, but found too many other things to weed through the info.

It is quite possible that this is milkweed. I am not familiar with it, but in the last couple of years, it has popped up everywhere.

I noticed that when I came home that the red bugs are still hanging on the same plants. Is insecticidal soap a good treatment for this critters? If so, that is what I prefer to use.

Or perhaps, I should catch a lizard or two and transplant them for a feast?

Thanks, bunches!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Ann,

I was hoping you could tell from that site I gave you. Yes, insecticidal soap would work, but you'll have to do it a few times. I'll bet those lizards would love a go at them first though!

Here's a site on milkweeds.
    http://www.monarchwatch.org/milkweed/guide/

Newt
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Yes! Yes! Yes! And Thank you! They definitely are red aphids, and I will give my lizards (the ones I can catch) a treat before I use the insecticidal soap.

This is one area of my gardens that I have not been transplanting my lizards to, and it looks like I need to, huh?

Thanks for the links. They are greatly appreciated. I haven't figured out which kind of milkweed this is, but it definitely is a weed (that spreads from seed).

Red aphids! Who'd have ever thought!

Tell me... Do you think what I have is a swamp milkweek?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It might not be the swamp milkweed as the leaves are a little slimmer then the common one. I have a clump of it and the monarchs come to visit, along with those red aphids. I even have dill growing and get the swallowtails and their 'cats'. I went to cut back a neglected butterfly bush and discovered an unhatched praying mantis egg case today. Isn't gardening fun with all the critters?
    http://www.hiltonpond.org/Gallery001.html

Newt

Totally awesome!!!!

Thanks for that link, too! I see some praying mantis, but not as many as I would like. I will keep my eyes open for the egg cases!

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ahh! Now I know what them little red bugs were on my milkweed plant last year. Thanks, now I can be prepared if they come back this year.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Ann, do keep in mind that praying mantids will eat anybody. They even eat each other. That's why you don't see alot of them. They eat the other good guys too.

Newt

Vicki, they do seem to like the milkweed. I also find them on my heliopsis. They were pretty bad for me on those last year.

Newt

+ Reply to Thread