+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nursery suffered a devastating blow.

Threaded View

Nursery suffered a devastating blow.

Last nite along about 8 pm a terrible storm blew thru bringing with it Hail. first it was 5 minutes or more of dime size hail and then the storm shifted to come from the north with 1 inch size hail.
    my PG hydrangeas were shredded, full branch's torn from the plants.hundreds of new growth branching that were to be used for cuttings lying all over the coldframe floor.
    azaleas stripped of flowers,4 foot Red japanese maples with new growth all over the ground.limbs with bark ripped off.
    rhododendrons pounded.blooming java red wiegelas in 3 gallon containers ruined that were ready to sell.its enuf damage that i think this setback has reduced me to close my doors.5 years of long hours of hardwork for nothing .
    it just wasnt meant to be for me.
    i hope you alls luck is better than mine.
    shepp

Oh, Shepp!

It sounds like you went through a hurricane. Is there no chance that what remains of the plants will thrive? I have noticed this spring that many of my plants that were stripped of leaves (and, yes, branches) are trying their best to recover.

Yes, it is true that they do not look as healthy as they did last summer, but new leaves have formed. New branches are growing. My hibiscus are even blooming, but the blooms are smaller than normal. They are doing their best to survive, and survive they will with a lot of pampering.

Please don't give up, and maybe you can try your best to salvage what is salvagable. Listen to me. I am not one to talk because I know how many plants that I lost simply because there were not enough hours in the day, and at that time, not enough daylight hours.

Keep us posted. Hopefully, you will get some emergency assistance funds. Is that possible? Small business, that sort of thing?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shepp,
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss.I know its like losing part of your family.After reading your post my many problems seem so miniscule.I really hope you wont give up,I know that is easy for me to say.If there is any way I can help let me know.
    tony b.
    Zone -6

thanks for the kind words ann and william.
    i luckily had the truck and trailer loaded for farmers market before the storm arrived.i was glad i had the trailer hooked up and loaded down ,who knows what could have happened to it.
    i will start moving plants today and sweeping up.
    maybe the HYD will take it as a pruning.and put on more growth since they were so tender.like i said in other posts i have killed lots of plants on my own,mother nature said let me give you some more to do.
    its time to fine tune this operation again. at least i wont have to water plants for a few days, 2 inches of rain friday and saturday.
    plus the hail stones melted slow. what a way to have drip irrigation.
    shepp

Shepp--what horrible news! I'm so sorry.

Hopefully most will recover and put out new leaves. I would give each plant some Superthrive, trim them as needed, go ahead and try to root the broken branches and carry on. Please don't quit. You have been such an inspiration to me and all the others.

Perhaps several of us can send you some cuttings as we are making ours. If anyone can do this, please dip them as usual, label them, and send 'em priority well wrapped in wet paper towels or some such. I will be looking at cuttings just after Memorial Day and can send a few.

Shepp, can you cover your cold frames in the summer. I keep mine covered with the sides and doors open. If it gets too warm, use shade cloth. Many of the big cutflower farmers do this and get better results in their plantings.

I wish you well, friend.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

thanks for the kind words please dont send plants or seed.
    shepp

How wonderful to offer plants to Shepp, but I must admit that Shepp has his hands full cleaning up and salvaging what he has left.

Shepp, I thought my pink (turning purple and blue) dwarf hydrangeas were ruined after the storm. Leaves were literally shredded off and many branches broken. To my pleasant surprise, they have leafed out beautifully and starting to bloom.

I thought I would take a picture for you. This was under the tree that fell on the house and lean-to...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Worst possible news

Shepp--you might as well stick a knife in and twist it, I feel so sick over your bad news.

I do appreciate everybody's encouragement, but must also share with you the discouragement that this biz can throw at us. I've often observed the same with the farmers up here...what makes us both want to work so hard for so little monetary return, with so many adverse things that can happen.

If everything goes perfectly, we can make a bit of money...otherwise we break even or lose on the deal.

Watch out for those guys in the white coats, if they start analyzing us I'm sure they'll lock us all up somewhere.

Nuthin' else to say Shepp...way too sad right now

thanks Glenn
    i got half of the mess cleaned up today by myself. it was the deciduous plants that took the whoopin.evergreens really arent showing if they were hurt yet.
    if i had the monies i would be stretching 30% shade cloth over the coldframes.i believe that could have virtually eliminated the damage. i will get some in due time.
    one thing i have been thinking of doing is evergreens in one CF and everything else in the other.so now i have a better reason to get that done and shade them from projectiles.
    i appreciate everyones concern.
    shepp.

Atta Boy!

Now that sounds more like the Shepp we know!

I'm glad to see you learning from this experience, and teaching the rest of us how to overcome it. Bad things happen to us all, some things are worse that others, but as long as they do not kill us, they make us stronger.

Hang in there!
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Shepp,

My heart hurts for you, but it is good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!

I'm glad you've been able to climb back on the garden cart and reassess the situation.

Mother Nature worked a number on me this Spring with my daylilies. Lost somewhere between 80 and 100 plants to crown rot. That was hard to take until I changed my focus on the situation. I'd been gripping about running out of room, well, now I have room, er, better make that had room as it hasn't taken long to find replacements for what was lost. Of course when bloom time gets here it may all hit again when I can finally figure out what all didn't make it. In the meantime, I've been digging old cultivars out and selling a lot on the auction. The spots opened up will be planted with some of my more treasured plants that have been growing in pots. It was potted plants that suffered the most losses and I'd hate to lose any of these special ones. So in the ground they will go.

Keep a good thought, make a new plan and run with it!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Sorry Shepp, Mother Nature sure can mess us up can't she? Wish we could all have been there to help with cleanup and salvage. Thank God he made plants so tough. Many will recover like Ann said. Butit is hard to see all your hard work damaged.
    Keep us posted.
    tennessee sue

Hey, Shepp!

I saw the search engines looking at this post, so I decided to read it again.

How are things going for you this year? When I read it, I went outside to take a peak at everything that is starting to bud out here and wondered if some would be total goners. I don't see any leaves yet on my Bloodgood Japanese maples. The prices have gone much higher on those this year.

I stopped by a local garden shop and talked to the owner/manager. This shop is within just a few miles of my school and he had just delivered a truck load of crepe myrtles to be planted.

He told me that this year, in particular, it is hard for the small garden shops to get anything from the wholesellers because apparently, the demand is much higher than the supply, so the wholesellers are holding out for the larger sales which leaves the small shops 'hurting for certain".

It seems that more of these smaller garden shops may have to start growing their own for awhile, but the problem with that is the damage to the greenhouses and stock plants.

It is one huge cycle, but I hope that the cycle will benefit you since you grow so many of your own.

Chin up! I guess what I am trying to say is that this disaster on the Gulf Coast may have some benifits to you if you take the right approach.

Hang in there and keep us posted...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread