+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Iris - The Poor Man's Orchids

Blog Entries

Iris - The Poor Man's Orchids

Okay, so technically, Iris are not bulbs, but rhizomes, but until there is enough interest for a separate forum, here is were I will be posting!

Because I just can't seem to get around to putting images into one of my on line albums, I'll be posting several images of what has bloomed and what is now blooming.

First up are the Dwarf Bearded Iris, I have a total of 6 different ones, 5 of which are named; first to bloom was WILD CHERRY, but even before it blooms I have this tiny Mini-Dwarf Bearded Iris, who begins to bloom in early April, often while there is still snow on the ground!
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    This is WILD CHERRY, only 10 to 12 inches tall and with up to 3, sometimes 3 blooms per stem.
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    SDI OPEN SKY begins it's show about two weeks after WILD CHERRY starts:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    About the same time, both of the yellow ones start to bloom, this year it was within days of the sky blue one. I like this little unknown soft yellow:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This would be SDI Mr. ROBERTS, a very bold, bright yellow:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This one, SDI CAPTURED SPIRIT, was actually blooming before MR ROBERTS. I really like the bi-color and patterned iris, but somehow, this is the only dwarf version of them that I have:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This one is the last of the Dwarfs that I have and also the last to begin to bloom. A lovely pale pink, SDB BETSY BOO:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Oh fudge pops ! I am going to have to break out the digital camera and join in the fun.
    I love the yeller iris; I'd like to add a similar color as well as a pink and a red(I guess burgundy) to the collection.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    The very first of the TB Iris to bloom is RARE TREAT, which will also re-bloom in late summer and early fall, often getting zapped by frost or an early freeze. It starts before the dwarfs have finished, unfortunately I don't have them in the same bed, except for a couple of the TBI just recently put in the mound bed where the dwarfs are. This image is of the one in the mound bed:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Here is a drop dead white TB that I have had for perhaps 12 years. I got the start from the doctor who I used to live next door to, along with a few others I still have and do not know the names of either!

White is difficult to photograph, but I feel this image has good contrast, you can see the mound bed in the background and a few of the dwarfs still in bloom.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Only one more after this one! This is another one I got from the good doctor. Not the fanciest iris, but I love the apricot peach color and the bright orange beard!
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is an unbelievably beautiful iris and no image can do it justice. I love this one and can just stand there and look at it for hours. This is TBI VIOLET RINGS, it's first bloom of the season. It has three more stems to bloom and I will enjoy every single one of them! The deep pink bud you see in the background is OLYMPIC PINK, it should be open tomorrow and I will get a "portrait" of it before the rains ruin it.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is OLYMPIC PINK, it started blooming on Friday the 13th!
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This one is another one I got from the good doctor, sorry about the junk in the background.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

First Siberian to Bloom

Here's a nice image of Siberian CESAR'S BROTHER:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast