+ Reply to Thread

Thread: visitors

visitors

This is the second one of these visitors this year. The other one ate my huge toad! I'm told they're harmless but . . .still yucky for me! I hate snakes!
    eastern hognose snake
    blow snake/puff adder
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Puff adder ? I thought they were poisonous. We see garter snakes now and then.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Couldn't resist looking it up. Looks like Puff Adder in NA is OK but in Soutj Africa , not OK:

3 entries found for hognose snake.
    hogĚnose snake ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h˘gnz, hg-)
    n.
    Any of several thick-bodied, nonvenomous North American snakes of the genus Heterodon having an upturned snout. Also called puff adder.

Puff adder. (Zo["o]l.) (a) Any South African viper belonging to Clotho and allied genera. They are exceedingly venomous, and have the power of greatly distending their bodies when irritated. The common puff adder (Vipera, or Clotho arietans) is the largest species, becoming over four feet long. The plumed puff adder (C. cornuta) has a plumelike appendage over each eye. (b) A North American harmless snake (Heterodon platyrrhinos) which has the power of puffing up its body. Called also hog-nose snake, flathead, spreading adder, and blowing adder.

"If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

He is beautiful! But that picture is priceless. Where's the gardener?

Please be kind to your snakes--they keep the rodent population down, eat slugs, etc. Get closer and really look at him. The coloration is incredible. There has to be some unbelievable intelligence behind that. I choose to call it God.

Try to enjoy him when you see him. Keep in mind that you are terrifying to him.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Vicki!

I smiled when I saw this post. That very morning, I ventured to my gardens and almost stepped on a small garter 'spell?' snake. Then I walked over to my neighbor's house and saw a 6" turtle, and his head immediately withdrew into his shell.

Then I saw a cute, medium size toad frog. I'm not crazy about snakes, but I love the toads because they like bugs and slugs.

Then, when I came home, I spotted lots and lots of lizards.

I am happy when I see my critters, but I have to admit that the snakes are not my favorites. We have some poisonous ones around here, and no one wants them in their gardens. Besides, they eat my toads, and as ugly as they are, I adore and take good care of my toads.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have gardeners but once I catch them they dont last. Snakes are great as described, great for eating rodents.

I draw the line when my little kids that are terrified of snakes.

They love frogs. I gotta keep a close eye on my little boy. He thinks everything is a toy.

George.

Sandi,
    You are right, he is beautifully patterned. I don't mind snakes, as long as they are not were I'm wanting to be! The gardener was taking the picture, bumming cause the snake is where I'm supposed to be, getting this pond done!
    The last one was eating my toad, and I was about crying. I attribute the lack of mostiques in my pond, to having LOTS of frogs, toads, and tadpoles. But I guess that snake helps out too, huh?
    George, have you given the kiddies a lifes lesson, how some snakes are nice and some not!
    Ann, wish I had some lizards here. Don't see many salamanders anymore. I remember seeing them 'all the time' when I was little.

Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

copperhead

looks like one to me.
    here is a link to images
    first is garter snake.

http://images.google.com/images?q=garter+snake+&hl=en

second is copperhead.

they say if you smell cucumbers there is a copperhead nearby.
    or a vegetable stand.

http://images.google.com/images?q=co...=Search+Images

eastern hognose

http://images.google.com/images?q=ea...=Search+Images

I think mine are eastern garter snakes, as well as black snakes and green snakes.

I don't know about the others. I am leary of them ALL!

Snakes are not my thing, so if you like them, Sorry! I don't!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread