+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bamboo

Blog Entries
    Ann- I'm with you ! I am locked in battle with both English Ivy and Hummingbird vine ! When we moved in we had someone literally rip the darn hummingbird vine off the house. The previous owners had done some of that before sale but were smart enough not to do more because when you try to remove it it leaves brown tendrils behind and makes the house look like it needs a painting.
    Today I was leafing(oh my , a pun !) through the color ads in the paper and some store was selling 4 packs of English Ivy for $1.79 ! I mean that's like saying here buy this 'disease' for $1.79 !
    I'm not sure if the bamboo, humingbird vine, English ivy battles can be won or if it's a never ending vigilence !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I broke off five more today. Each had the diameter of a tennis ball, and most were taller than me and it has only been one week.

So far, most have stayed in my shaded bed, but one was smack in the middle of the wide gate, so it is denitely spreading...

I know. I have a problem. I hope the stump killer and round up will work, eventually. I just hope that it will not be too late.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Add honeysuckle to that list of obnoxous plants. My big bed out front and the back of my shade garden are covered with it. It is going to be an ongoing battle for a long time. I have English ivy on the side of the utility building I have been thinking of pulling up before it gets out of hand.
    My brother had bamboo planted beside his trailer. When we underpinned it with fiberglass it was like a greenhouse effect. I thought the stuff was going to push the floor up into the trailer. I don't know how but my Dad finally got rid of it all.
    tennessee sue

Sue, I am having problems with honeysuckly also. I don't usually use Roundup, but I'm about to...

I have already broken off 4 of these huge bamboo monsters 'pop-ups' in my corner shade bed, and I haven't ventured out today to see if there are more.

After a doctor's appointment this morning, I went by BWI Companies and picked up some nursery pots and other supplies. The trade gallons have gone up to 13 cents each -- still not a bad deal compared to buying decorative pots. I wanted some regular one gallon and two gallon, but they were out of those. I did manage to get one package of long haired spagnum moss.

Then I transplanted the rest of my amaryllis seedlings, and then started to dig up those horrid privet seedlings and in the process bent two of my Johnsonii scapes. I think they will be okay.

Digging in the middle of the day is like exercising in a steam bath, even in the shade!

Gotta love it! Just more work to do... Kill the bamboo and roundup the honeysuckle and blackberry briars and dig the privets and popcorn trees! I sure wish that roundup would work on these privets, but they are growing too close to my precious plants.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann. Last year is the first year I have ever used weed killer like that. It did kill some of the honeysuckle and even poison ivy but did not touch the privet or the raspberries that edge my front bed. This year I will try shrub and bush killer on the privet and berries. I hate privet. It spreads every year. The spray I used last year was weed be gone.
    tennessee sue

Holy COW!!

I need Bamboo killer!

Supposedly, these only come up from the ground in April, and I made the mistake of not going back there to check in the last 4 days. This afternoon, I stomped on 8 of them. One behind the fence (by the ditch), 6 inside my bed, and one plainly in my yard.

One of them was 10 foot tall and about 3" in diameter!

I hate these!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2