+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo

Bamboo

I don't know how to classify bamboo, so I am putting this on the main forum.

I didn't plant it, but I have 3 brand new stalks that have shot up in the last couple of weeks. Get this! They are already 30 foot tall and almost 2" in diameter. HUGE!

I guess I will have to live with them for now, but I know I am facing problems in the future. I don't have the time or energy to dig a 2 foot deep barrier.

Hey! I'll cut them down at the end of the summer and start drying them. I'll use them for garden architecture, trellis, fences, etc.

Huge! Simply HUGE!

What can I say....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hmmm....something the flooding brought along ?
    I don't think cutting it will curtail it. It is good that you have some practical uses for it
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Actually, my neighbor planted it by their back fence. It must like it back there, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I don't want to be an alarmist, but I have a neighbor who planted some bamboo a few years ago, and now it is taking his entire place over. It's all in the woods, his flowerbeds, and his garden. It's up to about 2 acres totally covered in that junk!

You need to determine if it is a spreading type, and if so get it under control as soon as possible. Notify your neighbor that it is encroaching and make him put up the barrier.

How to classify it? It is a grass. Each plant grows to its full size in one season. The stronger the stand gets, the larger the canes grow. It spreads in the same way nutsedge does.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

bamboo

My daughter controls her's with the lawn mower. She has the spreading type in a bed -- it occasionally comes up out of the bed in the lawn and when it does it gets mowed like any other grass.

Ann I am taking the SC Master Gardener course mainly because you and others spoke so highly of this program.

Jim Lang
    Relocated in South Carolina

Jim,

You will love it, and you will make lots and lots of friends while learning all about South Carolina gardens.

Good to hear from you, and please pass along your newly found knowledge from the course you are taking.

8 more school days, and I am looking forward to a gardening summer! Lots of propagating and gettng these mature cuttings in their proper place.

I've missed you, Jim! Thanks for coming back, and I hope you will visit us daily!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tom,

You don't have to be an alarmist. I knew when my neighbor told me that she was planting them to block the view of the land behind us that they probably spread.

Now, I know that they do, and I have to deal with it... When I have time, unfortunately.

Yes, I was alarmed to see these three in my beds, but I expected it to happen. They are so BIG, though, and I didn't expect that.

This is the view from the ditch side of my neighbor's original planting....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

cold hardy yellow bamboo

Hi,
    This past weekend we had a plant swap. Anyhows I got some cold hardy yellow bamboo. I'm leary of planting it, but have lots of open space. Will cutting the bottom out of a 5 gal. bucket or pot, be deep enough to prevent spread? or several buckets/large pots?
    supposed to get 26' max. and 2" around.
    TIA
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I got some root barriers that are two feet in length. There are 20' of barrier in each package. They are about 18" wide and 24" long and link together. We will use a ditchwitch to install them along two sides of one corner of the large planting beds. The maple roots love all that wonderful nutritious garden soil. I am pretty sure I got this stuff at A.M.Leonard.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Vicki,

Not all bamboo is invasive. If you are careful in the selection, you can find one that can be maintained easily.

When my neighbor planted these, I was hoping that they wouldn't be invasive, but obviously they are. So, I have to deal with that.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I wonder why the ones in my yard (under the wonderful shade of the neighbor's pine tree) is so much bigger around than theirs.

I do believe I could make something of these things. There aren't that many, but they are huge. It's leaning (like many other things) due to the winds of Katrina and Rita.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wow ! I wouldn't want to be trying to completely remove that stuff. Best you do think along the lines of working with it making something with it. Any ideas yet ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I don't know, yet....

Perhaps some sort of harbor area for my vines. I have lots of vines, but bamboo looks best with oriental type plants. I don't have many of those.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. This one is certainly too big for a fishing pole, isn't it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whooops!

My neighbor recently told me that she loves these.

I think they like my shade garden better. There are three new ones that have popped up (right at the edge of the bed).

Mmmmmm.... These babies are huge, over a foot long and they just emerged in the last week or so.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I spotted another one that is 6 foot tall and behind my variegated weigela. Then, I spotted a fourth 'small' one. That did it!

I broke the four smaller ones at ground level. I know that won't kill them, but at least these won't get huge.

They are quite neat, and I wouldn't mind having the kind that isn't invasive.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast