+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okay, So It is My Turn and I Need Your Help Identifying this Shrub

Unhappy Okay, So It is My Turn and I Need Your Help Identifying this Shrub

Hi, Everyone!

Seems I need to learn a lot more about TREES and SHRUBS! I have taken some pictures of my neighbor's beautiful shrubs. My neighbor does not know the name of them because they were planted by the previous owner.

I see them around, but do not know the name. They are producing lots of seed, and I need to know what they are.

You can see pictures of the shrub, leaves, seed pods and seeds on the following web page:

http://www.landspro.com/page960.htm

So, now, everyone knows I, too, have a lot to learn... And I love sharing what I learn!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Maybe...

Hi Ann,

It's difficult to tell. If left unpruned in the spring does it sprout with new growth (leaves) being red? It may be a plant known here as Red Tips. another thing about red tips. Only the Female plants, will produce seeds, and flowers.

I'm assuming from the seeds that it does flower? Are the flowers white with faint pink? Is so this is my guess. Red tips.

It aslo has the look of Ilexa, which would flower very pretty if kept from the constant pruning. Lastly, possibly wax myrtle. Wax myrtles do also seed and bloom, but that is all I know about them.

Probably not much help, but maybe it will give you a start if you haven't already thought of them!
    Kathy in Ga.

What is this?

Ann,
    Don't know for sure, but looking in my shrub book, it looks like pittosporu, tobira also called australian laurel. How tall does it get?

trying to help,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Wink My Trusted Lowes Garden Center Manager...

Hi, Everyone!

I took the pictures to Lowe's and asked the Manager who is in my Master Gardener class. He tells me it is a variegated form of Cleyera which is a japonica. He is not sure if planting the seeds will produce the variegated form.

But it doesn't matter, I will try to grow some anyway. I think they might be a welcome gift for Habitat for Humanity. And I need some evergreens for my landscape, so you know me, I am willing to try anything once, twice or even a dozen times.

It's so much FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread