+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screensavers

Blog Entries

Screensavers and Digital Art

Oh, Rebecca!

First you get me hooked on daylilies. Now, you get both Hunter and me hooked on screen-savers. Yep! We have been having fun on both my computer and Hunter's!

BTW, my screen is a 17" flat screen. The pics show up as four, but you can't hardly tell that with most of yours! What program did you say that you use to create the effects?

Thanks!

Ann,

Depending on which image it is, the program was either Irfanview Effects or Photoshop Elements II and in some cases a combination of both.

Straight forward images were cropped and resized with Irfanview, and color correction were made using Photoshop Elements II (I have found this program give much truer results when adjusting for color and contrast.) There is a new version of PSE out now, but having had this one for only a year I am not about to spend money for a new version that doesn't appear to be that much different from what I have.

Lately I've been playing around with some of the different filters in PSE II to give different results. One that I have found to be both fun and frustrating is the "extrude" filter with the pyramid effect and then running it though several stages of the polar coordinates. Then I go to lighting effect to give the effect of a soft spotlight shining on the object and finishing with the "lens flare" to tie it all together.

I ought to do a step by step composite image to show some of the stages of development from a "raw" image to the finished "digital art".

I've attached one I call "Aurora Borealis", which is not one of the bigger ones and will display well here. I don't do too many of this type that are large enough to use as screen-savers mostly because the "raw" image isn't of a high enough resolution to be able to resize it to 640 x 480 (or larger) without losing details. I do use these smaller images on calendar pages and will be great for note cards.

Enjoy!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I set that one as my background, and it is NEAT!

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I was looking for another image I wanted to show here, but for the life of me, I can't find it! I had used it on a January calendar, so it's a small one. I will keep an eye out for it and move it to the proper file, IF I find it!

Which leads me to another problem I have in NOT saving these things to the proper file to begin with, and having too many "miscellaneous" files.

A good number of my finished "works" start out as an non-copyrighted image from someone else. Of course, by the time I'm finished manipulating them, one would never know. Still, I try to keep these images private.

Ann, I am pleased that you and Hunter have been enjoying the screen-savers. I'll try to remember to save those watercolors I made from your spring blooms to disk so I can send them to you when the disk is about filled. Some of the images on this first disk may be compressed, so any that are really small you can always try to resize them. Try increasing the dpi first, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't!

Here's what I used on my May calendar for work; it's a straight image of the first of my Rhododendrons to bloom, one of my favorites that had finally gotten it's seasons right!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread