+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daffodil Seed Pods

Daffodil Seed Pods

Are getting ready to be harvested. I haven't really tried them, but I figure I should try a few.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, all your pictures are lovely! Thanks for sharing. I wonder what will come of the daffodil seeds. I am just fascinated with this whole subject of propagation.

Please keep sharing---
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

What ever happened with the daffodil seeds? did you plant them? did they come up?
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

I just plant them directly in the garden. Like most bulb seed, they take awhile to bloom, so I just forget about them until I see them sprout.

They often self sow in my gardens. I will find them growing on the outside of the garden edge a foot or two away from the clump. If they don't get mowed down or tromped on, they will eventually bloom.

Try it! They are easy and low care!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow, I think I always behead my daffodils, and the ones that I miss don't have pods. I had never thought to try to grow daffs from seeds.... I will have to take a look next spring. Do the hyacinths actually grow from seed as well??

My darn grape hyacinths are considered weeds by me, they are everywhere. I am going to try to force some this year, it will get some bulbs out of the planting areas and I won't throw them away.....I think they certainly spread by seeds....they are in the lawn, just everywhere!!

How about tulips, I usually behead them as well. Do those pods actually produce viable seeds??

My stellas never develop pods, so I just dig them and split them apart.
    Thanks, Linda
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread