+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yay ! Got a Nursery Gift Cert !

Blog Entries

Yay ! Got a Nursery Gift Cert !

There is some benefit to letting your boss and co-workers know you love to garden. Boss gave me my 5 year service award early(should be October) because he wanted to give me a nursery gift cert and knew that this is the busiest gardening season. (OK, I briefly thought Oh my Gosh I'm getting the service award early because he knows they are going to get rid of me before October-LOL!) I will probably spend the bulk of it on Cotton Bol Compost and a regional soil ammendement. This particular nursery does have sales on nursery stock but they are in late winter(I hope the nuresry doesn't require using the whole gift cert. all at once). Anyway I am thrilled

Aside from that, it looks like we're all spending out spare time out in the gardens. That's where I plan to be all weekend !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Congratulations!! Spend it wisely.

Usually, if you don't spend it all, they will either give you change, or some kind of credit. Now, listen to MOM you put that change in an envelope and only spend it on garden related items!!! That's what your boss wants for you and it is too easy for it to blend with the $$ for necessities. This one is for you, sweetie!

Have fun!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Double Woo-Hoo !
    Just got a Christmas gift cert to the nursery from my boss. How cool is that ! Yay !

Nice! Can't wait to hear what you choose!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Now that's my kind of Boss! Kudos to him for being so thoughtful!
    Kudos to you for making a great impression on him!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Yes, he is a rare kind of boss; that's for sure ! He and his wife are nice people. I trade plants with his wife and have gotten some pretty(though unnamed) daylilies from her.
    At this point I might use the gift cert to buy a pine tree for the new house--not sure though--I have to check out their tree selection. I had a brief thought about a Purple Martin house as well. Then there's the nursery's 10 cent spring bulb sale in January. It's nice to have choices !

Okay, so it is time for me to ask a dumb question.

Pine trees here are prolific. They grow easily from seeds and will self-sow like crazy despite squirrels loving them.

So, I gather these are special pines and not the southern pines here. What types of pines do you find at your nursery?

I would love to have some different kinds of pines. My neighbor's special pine from International Paper Company seedlings is my ideal pine, but it produces very small and few pine cones. The squirrels always seem to get to the seed before I find a cone.

Oh, well... I won't give up. Someday, I will find a cone with viable seed in it and start a tree. Then, I have to hope that it will be as pretty and nice as my neighbor's.

If not, I may just start some good ole southern pines in the back quarter. They make for great shade, and I love using the pine straw for mulch.

FUN! But I have to tell you that a 10 cent bulb sale is even more exciting. I'd be a goner...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Hold onto your hat when I tell you...there are no pine trees native to Kansas ! Really ! The most popular 'imports' are Ponderosa and Austrian(although Austrian has recently fallen prey to nasty disease). Here is an interesting weblink:

http://www.kansasforests.org/conserv...ergreens.shtml

P.S. I will keep tabs on that 10 cent sale and see if they do have it this year. I can scope it out beforehand and maybe pick up some pretties for you.

That's a neat story! No native pines? Gee, the southern pine is almost invasive here, but no one complains. Most people do not realize how many varieties there are. It's hard to tell until they form pine cones, and then you see big differences. Some make those huge 12" cones that are shaped like a Christmas tree and some just form tiny little cones. Then there must be hundreds, if not thousands of varieties in between.

After I posted, I thought about all the pretty pines that I have seen up north - both big ones and little ones. Most of those will not grow here, but I wish they did.

Be sure to let us know which one you end up with and post a pic as it grows.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread