+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Companion

Blog Entries

My New Companion

I've had my new Silver Spotted Bengal for a little over a week and have been hesitant to post about him as he has had a hard time getting started. Today is the first day he has actually been eating at anything close to regular intervals. Unfortunately, he has also developed diarrhea and acidosis. He goes to the Vet this afternoon.

When I went up to get him from the breeder, she assured me he was eating well and he may have been, but she also administered a wormer and now I am afraid it may have been too high a dosage for this tiny bundle of love.

I've encountered Acidosis in cats before and it has never been a good sign. I am hoping it is not too late to get my little guy back on the right track.

My little one's name is "Gabby", due to the fact that he meows about everything, just like a small infarct, in fact! He cries for attention, he cries when he has to use his litter pan and, of course, he cries when he is hungry! He will always be a "talker", it's one of the reasons I wanted to get a Bengal to begin with. Pippin was a talker, and Gabby does a lot of the same things Pippin did and likes his tummy rubbed, just like Pippin did. There are many, many things that remind me of Pippin when I look at this little guy.

I am hoping there will be an easy fix to what this little guy's problem is. The breeder also gave me his first temporary does of kitten vaccine, but because he's not been eating very well I haven't given it to him. I will take it with me to the Vet this afternoon. I only wish I could remember the name of the wormer she gave him.

Keep us in your thoughts and hopefully I will have better news this evening.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Of course we'll all be hoping for the best. Eating is a good sign. I don't know what acidosis is but many things could be causing the loosey-goosies. I am not a fan of dewormer use in young or debilitated animals(had a bad experience with the latter).
    Sending postive thoughts your way......
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    It was a good visit to the Vet! Both the Tech's went ga-ga over Gabby and the Vet was very thorough in both his exam of the baby and questioning me, not that I left him a lot to question about!

He put him on a short course of antibiotics just in case he might have developed a tummy infection and on 4 to 5 days of enzymes to pre-digest his food and help re-build his system. And he gave me instructions on how to properly use the nasal-occular vacination the breeder gave me. He'll get this as soon as he is finished with this round of antibiotics and the enzyme therapy.

I hoped it wasn't anything more than an enzyme deficiancy, but with kittens this young you never know. Whew! I am so relieved!

Poor baby is worn out though from all the exceitment and has retired to his bed to sleep.

i'm off to feed the Wal-Mart Kitties! (They are getting so big!)

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Whew ! Good Mews !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

What an adorable little kitten!

Are his eyes really that color of blue? He looks so sweet and lovable.

I have had that problem when kittens were suddlenly removed from Mom's milk. It didn't last, though. They were fine!

I'm not familiar with acidosis, though...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Acidosis is "sickenly "sweet" breath" and indicates the stomach acids and enzymes are out of whack, or in Gabby's case, just not mature enough to properly digest his food. It's also a symptom of kidney problems. We can get it too, usually as a result of a long bout with diarrhea and severe indigestion or ulcers. Also an indicator for diabetes.

Fortunately none of the kittens still at the breeders are having a problem, the other mother cats are taking turns nursing Gabby's siblings. Plus, I doubt any of them have be given the de-wormer. I still think that is what set him back. At least he's on his way to a full recovery and will soon start putting on wieght and growing into a fine, big boy!

His eyes are just now starting to turn amber, like his mother's. The Snow Leopard Bengal I'll be getting in a few more weeks will have blue eyes.

Well, the baby says it's time for bed, and I must agree! Back to work in the morning! yippie - NOT!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Little Gabby found his appetite Tuesday and hasn't seemed to stop eating since. Little blokes tummy is so distended it looks like he could explode. He's actually been running from room to room and playing! like a happy kitten. He still has a bit of acidosis, but it isn't as apparent as it was. I skipped giving him the enzymes yesterday, but dosed his food once today to see if that would ease the bloat. His tummy doesn't seem quite as distended, so I guess it's working.

All in all, he is doing really well and I hope he continues to do so. He'll get his first kitten vaccine on Sunday, it's one of the nasal-ocular types and I am a bit nervous about administering it, but the Vet told me how to do it and in what sequence and, hopefully he won't fight me too much on it.

He says he's ready for bed and I am too!

Make it a great day!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

Wink I'VE CREATED A MONSTER!

Gabby has definitely turned the corner and is well on his way to becoming a force to be reckoned with!

He has the appetite of a horse and if he likes what is offered, eats like one too! And if he doesn't like it, he won't eat it and forces me to offer him a second choice. (Fortunately the W-M Kitties aren't picky eaters and will gobble down the "flavors" his highness won't eat!) For a few days he was very bloated and this worried me. He still has some bloating, but nothing like it was.

He has also discovered "PLAY"! He can find the most unusual things to play with! Empty TP rolls seem his favorite, next to my toes! I dug out a couple of Pippin's old toys and he seems to especially like the little tunnel with the attached pompom he can bat about. He's so tiny still that play is sometimes a challenge for him - some of his toys are bigger than he is!

He is gonna be hellonwheels before long!

And Baby, Baby thinks he's pretty neat, well, she's accepted him, finally and will share the food dish with him and will lay on the bed and not hiss at him; all steps in the right direction.

I can't wait to get the Snow kitten!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Rebecca!

They are just like babies. They make you feel young again! I can tell that Gabby is going to be good for you, and you will be good for him.

I wanted you to introduce you to Blue. Blue follows me when I am propagating, weeding, digging, planting. Blue doesn't bother anything, but does adore a little petting and love now and then. She/he is sitting on what remains of a picnic table (the bench) waiting for some attention, but not sure about the camera thing.

Meet Blue!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Very handsome, regardless the gender. I really like that gun-metal gray color, especially with deep amber eyes! They look so regal and mysterious!

Gabby went outside with me earlier today while I did some potting and re-potting. Never strayed out of sight of me, though there were a couple of times when I couldn't see him! He mostly napped on a small pile of pine and wheat straw, and investigated the stacks of empty pots and tried to stay out from under my feet, did get a paw a couple of times, but didn't really hurt him. He learned real quick to watch my feet!

Later this evening when I went out to prep plants for shipment tomorrow he sorta snuck out, but stayed well away from my feet! Chased a couple of leaves and twigs around the patio, pestered Baby a bit and discovered that the yard was actually a good place to potty!

I didn't carry him in when I was done as I wanted to see how long he'd stay out once he discovered I wasn't out there. Two minutes! And then he couldn't figure out how to get back up the back steps! He knows how to now! That first step was the hardest, but the second one was better and the third (not being as high) was a breeze! It is so cute watching these young ones learn new things! He was so happy to be inside he did this little "toe-dance" and then started demanding to be fed! That;s how he got his name, demanding to be fed or held or taken to his litter pan when he was too weak to make it on his own. To see how he carries on, just a few days later, you'd never know he even had a problem!

We will be going up to West Lafayette on May 1st to get his half-brother, the Snow Leopard kitten, and I can hardly wait!

If I think about it and if he gets to go outside tomorrow I'll get some new images of the little stinker! so I can post them here.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

They are all so cute! I have 3 new kittens about 6 mo. old. The little female has long hair and is gray. Her brothers are much larger than her AND ALSO GRAY. tHEY ALL HAVE A silver sheen to them They are beautiful but my old calico Rose sure doesn't like them. They try to aggravate her so she runs to me or the top of the frig. Hope they get used to each other soon.
    Have 2 new pups and 2 new kittens at farm. I am trying my best to get them all fixed. They multiply faster than I can get them to the vet.
    Have appointment for 1 dog and hopefully help with the 3 kittens by a local animal group.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Congradulations, Sue! But, my that is a lot of new animals to deal with! Good thing you were able to get the animal group to assist with the sapy/neuter.

I tried to get a few good shots of my little monster today, but am afraid I didn't do a good job; it's awfully hard to get a good shot of a fast moving object, especially when it's a curious kitten! I'm attaching a few of the better shots (seperate posts), this is one of my favorites:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Something has him a little spooked here:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    You can still see some of his spotting here. He's getting into the "fuzzy" stage now and his pattern isn't all that visable. He'll start looking a lot better once he's 3 - 4 months old. He'll turn 2-months old on Wednesday!
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Sorry about the poor quality on these, but like I said, it's not easy to get good shots of a moving object! I tried getting closer, but he'd just make a bee-line to me and I couldn't even get a shot off!

I'm also posting shots of the Wal-Mart Kitties tonight so be sure to check that thread too. (They won't let me get too close and this camera isn't very good for long shots.)

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast