+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First bloom.

First bloom.

A newly potted rooted cutting Hibiscus. It's only 6 inches tall!
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

That is GORGEOUS, John. Is it a tropical or hardy? I just sent for a bunch which I hope are hardy. We'll see.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    That would be a Tropical Hibiscus, LOVE it John! Must have been a bloom bud present when the cutting was made, you lucky puppy!

I am really, really hoping my seedlings decide to bloom this year. Tired of waiting to see the results of my efforts. Plus I'm running out of room to keep all of these bigger, taller plants under the lights (over winter)! All the Hibiscus will soon be going outside for the summer and the mature plants will be pruned back, a couple severely. It will be difficult not keeping the better prunings and potting them up! Wonder if that has anything to do with my houseplant over population problems. . . . nay, couldn't be that!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Absolutely Beautiful!

Isn't it wonderful when a cutting blooms so quickly? Hibiscus have done that often for me, and I love it.

Rebecca, to save space, you can actually put 3-5 cuttings in a relatively small pot with not that much soil and these things will not only root, but thrive in a small space for longer than most people think.

All of my hibiscus are in need of pruning. None of them have very many leaves because they had to be left outside to fend for themselves during Ivan.

Actually, I think it is time to simply rejuvenate them by taking cuttings and starting new, robust, young plants.

Wish it was that easy to do with us, huh? Just start all over, new and robust?

Absolutely gorgeous bloom, John! Thank you so much for sharing. Mine are just starting to bloom, but they are weak and the blooms don't look that great!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

John,
    How beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread