+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flooding Rains

Flooding Rains

Well, I may not be a blonde, but sometimes I do dumb things.

I left the back gate unlatched. Then we had somewhere between 12-15 inches of rain... The debree is packed up against the back side of the fence (ditch side), and the rest made it into to yard and tried to get out.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The view from my neighbor's side of the fence.,,
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

looks like the beginning of a compost pile.

is that wisteria?

Yep, that is a wisteria. I may not keep it, though. It is not the deep purple that I wanted.

I could build a huge compost pile with the 2-3 foot of debree packed up against the outside of the back fence. All I have to do is separate the non-organiic debree (trash).

BTW, the red stuff you see are camellia and azalea blooms. They are everywhere (washed up on the sides of the roads).
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is where I made the mistake....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, Shepp!

Even though it is not a darker color, I think I will keep it. It is huge and loaded with blooms. Maybe, it like all the rain, huh?
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

No, NOT Again!

We had very strong thunderstorms come through here this morning. Over 4 inches, so far.... It is still raining, but not as hard.

The fence gate came open again. This time I am sure I did not leave it open because I checked it before dark last night. Theory is that the gate post is too lose in the soil and leans enough for the latch to get past. I dunno if that is the case. It is still too wet to go back there to check.

So, the west fence is down again and filled with debree. My smaller brugsmansias were just recovering from the last flood. Oh, well... I am crossing my fingers.

Just another mess to clean up, but it has been worse, so I won't complain. We do need rain. Just not all at once like this.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

No thunder nearby, so I ventured to the back to see what happened. The chain link latch cracked and broke, so the gate came open.

Our neighbor had put up some black plastic (or something) again, but this time he did not block the ditch. It didn't hold up either.

Unfortunately, the fence posts (in the prior picture) in this low area of the yard are bent this time. They will have to be replaced.

Just what I need right now... More work!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann- time to get the rubber boots on. Over here the whether is rain rain rain. I havent opened up my Nursery yet cuz its too darn wet. I have done a lot of the preparation work, its just a open the gate thing. Who can plant it this any way.

Very cold today. something I didnt expect.

Ann just push the post against the fence and hit with a sludge hammer to get it back in place. Unless its in cement.
    I have one thats like that but I dont have the time to fix it. George.

+ Reply to Thread