+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sparaxis

Sparaxis

I truly adore these bulbs when they are in bloom. I took pictures of quite a few of them. Many are different, not only in color, but also in design.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another.....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Still another....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And another.....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

These have already started to pop up. They are the ones that I planted last year.

There were so few bulbs on the market this year, and I have to tell you that I miss the early season and well as late season sales.

Thank goodness, some are coming back...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoa!

These beauties have multiplied! They are coming back in dense little clumps. No blooms yet, but I have not doubt that there will be some.

For those of you that live up north and have never grown these, please do try them in a pot. They are tiny bulbs, and they do multiply as well as produce seeds. They are such a treat, and they love cooler weather. If you plant some in the gardens, just dig them up and overwinter them in a dark, cool spot. They are awesome and quite inexpensive.

I can't wait to see them bloom! Can you tell? I am already tired of winter, and we really haven't had one yet. Gee! Someone told me I was spoiled, and I have to keep reminding myself that in some ways, I certainly am...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann
    Are these also called Harlequin Flower? I think I have found them in the Michigan Bulb Catalog. I am looking for a living fence idea, and these look like your photos.
    Thanks, Linda
    Linda

Linda,

They are one and the same. The bulbs are small. The leaves only grow to about 6" high, but the blooms are spectacular.

If you use them in your living fence area, they will definitely need to be up front because they form small clumps. I planted them amongst my Pandora's Box daylilies which are dormant in the winter.

Along with the Sparaxis, I also have daffodils (which are just starting to peak through the soil) and Ixia bulbs and plan to add a few more. This is a small bed that surrounds my front light post.

Ie., these are fillers for late winter/early spring color.

Don't they sell them at the box stores near you? I would think that they should be arriving soon. You can get packages of lots of bulbs for very little because the bulbs are small (about the size of a dime).
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, I have been to Walmart and Home Depot and the PX garden shop. No bulbs anywhere as of now. But we get a pretty good cold spell usuallly from January until late March, so i don't think the Spring stuff will show up for another month or so here. i did see packages of seeds at Home Depot, but no bulbs yet, onlly advertisements that they were coming soon.
    I cannot recall seeing the Sparaxis bulbs in the past....I love color, and I think I might have noticed them. As I am ordering from Michigan Bulb company, they won't add any extra expense in shipping for them, so i will probably just order them from there.

thank you for introducing me to them, they look like a lot of happy spring colors, and should fit around my mailbox nicely.
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,
    PLEASE rethink ordering from Michigan Bulb. They are a terrible company and many, many, people have been ripped off by their great prices and inferior products. Seriously check the ratings for this company and many others a Davesgarden.com.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Wow, thanks Vicki
    I will go there and do just that. I had also thought to order from DirectSales.com. I will see if anyone has an opinion on that as well.
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

If you can find some, don't worry about planting them until your garden is not frozen and is easy to work. Make sure that there are no forecast below 25 degrees. They are tropical by nature.

They bloom in cool months and go dormant in the summer, like daffodils do here. I could always try to gather some seeds for you. I do gather them every year, but don't always get a chance to sow them. I should set up a window box and sow them to see what happens. The seeds are a little larger than mustard seed.

The leaves are about 6-8" high. The blooms are about an inch to 1.5" in diameter, but gee, they are so pretty and different and they bloom and bloom when very few other things do...

Vicki,

I have had good luck with what I have purchased from Michigan Bulb, but then again, I am sort of picky about what I buy with mail order. Some things, I simply like to purchase locally, if I can. Plants tend to be cheap here, but they should also be in your state. Michigan is pretty high on the list nursery production. Many things that are tough to grow here will grow great in Michigan.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast