+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what

what

hi all ,
    what are your thoughts pro or con on using a 18x48 greenhouse for propagating shrubs?build my sand beds and misting system in it ,i lost a lot of cuttings last year due to the rain that fell in may and june.i have plenty of room. i have a large intake and exhaust
    system on a 2 stage thermostat. my annuals& a few bedding plants will be ready for market in may. and i would really like to propagate year round. what are your thoughts ,lets hear them!
    i know there is a wealth of experiance on this forum just waiting to be heard. thanks in advance shepp zone 5/6 in southeastern ohio.

why not

I can think of lots of reasons you should.

First if you are all ready paying the greenhouse costs. And not giving up space that could be making money some other way. and this use doesn't add a lot of new costs what's to lose? The more plants you grow the less your cost per plant.

your situation is very different from the person considering building a green house or buying one.

Our weather in Ohio sucks! those in zone 6, 7, 8 can grow much longer and often with better results than we can here. In the green house you improve the environment for most of the year and get a longer growing season.

I don't see that outdoor beds are an advantage. Except maybe for a few plants that really need to be frozen for a while. If thats the case there is no reason you can't also have an outdoor bed. As it has been pointed out the greenhouse isn't necessary, but that doesn't mean it isn't better or at least as good.

If for no other reason -- you will be a lot more comfortable in the green house and will monitor the plants better.

good luck
    Jim Lang

Thank You, Jim!

A greenhouse can be much more than just a luxury!

Even though mine is very small and old, I love it and wouldn't be without it, despite the hurricane force winds and floods. It has been well worth the money and effort spent to build and improve upon it. I use it the year round, even in the heat of the summer.

Thanks, Jim!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

greenhouse

Ann,

I have two 6' x 8' and if something happened to either one I would replace it without any hesitation. My only regret is that when I got them I didn't get the bigger ones. I will probably add a hoop house before next fall.

One the size of Shepp's would be a wonderful play room for me.
    Jim Lang

Thumbs up Jim!

Spoken as if spoken from my Heart!

I feel the same way...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

hope to get the most out of it

hi forum
    like jim said sometimes ohio weather sucks.
    if i had strated the year before it would have been worse.
    so cold all year .last year 60 days of rain.
    i agree so far with all thats been said.
    by using the ghouse it puts me now in a zone6/7 instead of a 5/6
    look at the zone map and i am where that little green finger is pointing east in ohio.that puts me on edge!
    so starting as soon as i can i will be building beds and filling with sand.and maybe some with peat and mix some.
    the purchase of shade cloth will be needed also.
    any one have some finer points to add ,i would like to hear them.
    thanks for your thoughts

Shepp
    I'm in Ky. south of Louisville zone 6, although some one keeps forgetting to tell Mother nature. I have a 18 x 60 unheated GH and did three trays of hardwood cuttings. I put one in the heated GH on heat. And two in the unheated one. The one on heat leafed out and no roots yet, the others have gotten roots and look pretty good. The biggest problem I have is regulating the heat for so many different plants. Right now everything is hardy and can take the cold but because of the long fall and warm weather nothing went dormat. I left a few Aloe plants in there and the ones that were dry have taken the few 20 deg. nights. I think next year I will do more trays of hardwood cuttings and put them under a bench to keep them cooler during the sunny hot days. If you have the room go for it. After the spring rains you can put them outside. All the springs rains missed me last year and I had much better luck with the plants that were already outside.
    Right now I'm planting seeds, I hate seeds, (sorry Ann) I'd much rather do cuttings.

Pat
    Log Cabin Pat

hardwoods in unheated gh doing

hi logcabin pat
    you must be near shepherdsville or maybe okalono
    (crawdad town)? i was wondering how well the hardwood cuttings are doing in the unheated gh. are they in sand ?
    i would like to hear more thanks

Shepp
    I'm near Shepardsville, I do the Flea market there sometimes. You're greenhouse is great looking. What are you going to put on the floor? The hard wood cuttings I took look pretty good concidering it turned hot right after I took them. I also used a two inch flat that is not deep enough. I put them in sand in direct sun and water when I think about them. I have already taken some out and repoted them but in the wet sand I have trouble getting them out without breaking some of the roots off. You should be able to put a bench close to the floor, and one above it the way you built it. I put my shade cloth on in May after I sell all the tomatoes. It goes all the way to the ground and stays nice in there until the really hot weather hits. By then everything is in a shade house with just shade cloth over the top to keep the afternoon sun off and the rain and wind. The way I time things I can fill the greenhouse twice in the spring.

Pat
    Log Cabin Pat

flooring in GH

hi all and LCP
    i am cuurently using nursery fabric. the kind with lines every 12 inches.
    i bought a roll at a auction last summer. over 100 bucks off. a local full service greenhouse and landscape biz ,he retired and sold lock stock and
    water garden barrels.
    thanks for the compliment about gh.
    i will build 5ftx8ft x 8inches deep beds right on top of the fabric.
    some with sand ,some with peat & sand maybe.
    i may try some rice stone in one just to see how it works.

Rice stone?

Shepp,
    Hi, How are you doing? Did I read somewhere (maybe Freeplants) that you hit the 100,000 mark?
    Congrats on that.
    Just wondered if you tried the rice stone you talked about in this post?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

i was talking about rice stone 2 days ago

i mentioned that the other day . that i might get some rice stone this week.
    it is still up in the air. i went to a plant auction and spent the afternoon with jim lang and
    i had a flat tire last nite when i pulled in the driveway .spent the evening getting that changed and building another sand box for the heated bench , i hope to get the stone this week.so the next sandbox will be a rice stone box.
    it may drain too fast. we will see.

+ Reply to Thread