+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: March Blooms - Happy Spring Everyone!

HGTV and Michael Dirr disagree on this one.
    Dirr says Loropetalem is hardy in zones 7-9.
    I am in zone 7 and have 5 fairly healthy ones here. It is a very popular plant all around this part of our state.

Ann has already shown you a closeup, here is one that I have on a south facing wall. If you look through the window on the right, you can see me setting there at the computer

I will be pruning it twice a year to keep in bounds, but my goal is to let it grow below and above the windows. Right now, after 4 years, it is about 12' tall and wide.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Last night I had done a search on Chinese Witch Hazel and saw it could grow up to zone 6a. I just went back to that source and noticed it described the flowers as being yellow(uh-oh!). So, I just now did a search on that L-word that we weren’t sure of the spelling and found this(I hope you have acrobat reader).
    http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/loro.pdf
    What I noticed, and I had seen this on the initial search as well, was the verbage ‘cold injury may occur in temps btw 0 and 5 degrees’. Our temps really do not get that bad(thank you global warming!) and especially if I plant in a microclimate area(my yard faces south—yay !). I’ve got Easter lilies and other lilies and Columbine coming up already ! I think I’m in Zone 6 b. But BEST OF ALL : I hope you can open that link because they show it being grown IN A POT !!!!!! Woo-Hoo! Yes, there is hope for ALL northern growers ! It is worth a try !!!!!
    See also “How Hardy are these plants ?” They note growing in an unheated coldframe as far north as NY—Sandi—wouldn’t it look great inside your GH?)
    http://www.smgrowers.com/info/loropetalum.asp

Oh, and here’s a funny one: it seems like it’s from Japan and not China(unless it went to Japan from China).

Even more reading(help I can't stop searching-LOL!):
    http://www.paghat.com/fringeflower.html
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-22-2005 at 12:00 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thanks for the additional info. In one of your links they speculate that the original discovery was in Hunan China, but also say that it had been found on one island in Japan and also in India. Who knows? Mine came from Lowes

I really liked the picture of the potted one, but from my experience, they do not seem to do well with confined roots. Perhaps they were pruning and fertilizing that plant better than I do my own potted cuttings.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Well... Well....

The Sparaxis is actually blooming. They tend to close up in the late afternoon, so I didn't get a picture. It will have to wait until this weekend, but I see more and more buds forming, so I am thrilled.

Since I bought these on sale and really later than they should be planted, I didn't think I would get any blooms this year, and only hoped that they would survive until next year.

But THEY ARE blooming, and they are so gorgeous and unusual.

I know that these are subtropical, but gee! They are so very pretty and quite inexpensive. You could always dig them up, and since the bulbs are small, they don't take much storage room. They also produce lots and lots of seeds.

I can't wait to take another picture of these for you!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I stand corrected and happily so. I may try this in one of the greenhouses. I think it is absolutely stunning. I am sure I just saw this on the TV program and read it as NOT IN MY ZONE.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Taken with a flash....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and Tom,
    Thank you for the lovely pics. Our snow is finally melting here. Spring IS on it way, just a little slow this year.
    Cathy,
    Thank you for the interesting reading. I love going to paghat the ratgirl garden pages.

Happy Spring to you All!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Last Day of March...

And I thought I would share some of the blooms in my gardens. Sorry, it started raining again, so I could only take a few.

Here is the first. It started blooming a week ago, and it is now loaded with buds ready to open.

Remember it? It is the one that I covered with an old comforter on the nights that it was supposed to freeze or get near freezing.

I covered it in hope that I would have blooms for a longer period of time. As it is, it blooms from spring to frost. This year, it will be early spring to frost.

I love it!

Thunbergia Battiscombie (cuttings a gift from Vicky, a Master Gardener friend)
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Weigella

I always spell that one wrong. I'll have to look it up and correct it.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Favorite Weigella

I need to make more of this one. It reblooms...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Still...

a few Daffodills here and there...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That

Purple Smoke Tree that I was afraid didn't make it...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A Wildflower...

This one pops up in the yard, and I do hate to move over them, but when they are in my flower beds, I leave them be.

Transendentia (spell?) - Sally, I am still trying to figure out how to capture those seeds!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    March 31st. gave way to something other than the crocuse blooming in my yard! Not the best image, but not the worst either!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    ICE FOLLIES beginning to open:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast