+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: March Blooms - Happy Spring Everyone!

March Blooms - Happy Spring Everyone!

Well, it is official and spring has finally arrived (officially). I know that many of you are still anxiously awaiting your last day of frost, and I'm still fighting holding my breath when I think about the possibility of a late frost.

So far, so good... MMMMhhhh!!!! Reminds me of Gary and Arlene!

Here is a cluster of Yellow Lady Banks Rose (a thornless ramber)....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Antique Rose

One of the few singles, but I really like this one. The blooms change color, so it looks like different roses. I truly need to look up the name of this one. I like it!

Here it is when it is a darker rose color.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here is the lighter version....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Spirea - Bridal Wreath

Bridal Wreath is in bloom just about everywhere. They usually bloom at the same time as most of the Azaleas bloom in town.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Loropetalum

Did I spell that right?

There are so many varieties, and I am embarrased to say, I don't know the name of this one, but it is tall and rambling and will be gorgeous in about a week or two.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Okay....

So this is not a bloom, but it is something that I have watched grow from a very tiny little thing. I have left it undisturbed in a pot in my little old greenhouse, and I am in awe... It is a volunteer! The kind you don't mind having.

I tend to have lots of ferns growing from spores here and there, but this one is different. I am sure it is an offspring from the Japanese Painted fern which is one of my favorites.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh!!!!

And let's not forget about the good ole South Carolina Jasmine.

It stays in bloom during cooler months. I see a lot of dead branches, so this will have to be pruned back drastically this year in an effort to 'clean up'. Besides, it has sort of taken over the perimeter of what was once my veggie garden.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Your roses are so lovely, I really like the Lady Banks, so light and airy! The Spirea is beautiful and the hot pink looks like one of the Witch Hazels, gorgeous!

I could almost smell that Jasmine! And the fern is precious, looks like a "Table Fern" or "Japaneses Brake Fern".

Things are beginning to wake up here, but it will be a couple of months before there is much other than the spring bulbs a bloomin!

I am not too happy with what I am seeing in the potted daylily area; so far there are around 30 plants that do not look like they have survived winter. A lot are the MJ seedlings , but several are registered cultivars that I either bought or traded for. :

TOTALLY AWESOME
    CHEVRON SPIDER
    VICTORIA'S SECRET (I think that's the right Victoria )
    ELOQUENT SILENCE, to name a few. There are a few out in the beds that don't look too good either. Every one of them is an Evergreen! I've set them all out in the seedling bed where they can get warmed by the sun and dry out. Some may yet be okay. I think I will have to stay away from the Evergreens though, even the ones in the ground look nasty!

Also lots several of the Heathers and a few miniature roses (but they could come up from the roots). A lot of the mums didn't come through and I seldom have a problem with them. There's enough that did make it though and they grow very well from cuttings. None of the potted lilies are up yet, but they look good (those that have little ones near the surface).

Real growth is still a month or so away, so I won't give up on anything yet. I did lose both of the new roses I planted last year. They will go back to Wally World and I'll get something else. No more Hyb. Tea Roses for me. (Hum. . . I seem to remember having said that before!) Two of the three Austin Roses look like they have made it, and since they are on their own roots, the third may yet sprout new growth.

Keep sending those pix and reminding us Northerners of what's to come for us!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

It remains to be seen as to what will happen with all my daylily babies. It doesn't look good right now, and I am disappointed.

Some things simply got dumped on with too much salty rain during the hurricane. It happens. The hurricanes stir up water from the Gulf, and that gets mixed with the atomosphere and dumped during the downpour. The further inland, the less salt, I suppose, but I lost some plants that I never imagined that I would lose.

I am still in awe that my huge cross vine is gone. Oh, well! I have lots of seed, so if I can't find one any other way, I will try that.

Meanwhile, I have lots of vining plants to take its place, so I am looking forward to spring vacation next week.

My perennial and annual seedlings are now in the old gh. They are doing well and will be planted in the gardens next week (if it doesn't rain all week).

I have so many plants that are ready to put in the gardens. They are hardening off as we speak.

My tropical hibiscus were hit hard by the winds that tore them apart, but they are putting out new leaves and somehow seem to have made it. Lots of heavy pruning is needed, but if I can hold onto enough time to get new leaves, I can try some cuttings.

Antique roses are on the top of my list for propagating this spring. I need to move them away from that gigantic red passiflora!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Is that hot pink bloom a witch hazel ?! I really have to know !!

Rebecca- Give them a month as you say.....can you top dress them with some goodies ? I can send you some MJ-002(RPS) self seedlings when they get bigger and maybe mama plant will also be ready to divide.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower, and I suppose a half another names.

Mostly known as Loropetalum here (spell?).

There are numerous hybrid varieties available here now, and they are all popular!

P.S. Easy to propagate!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ahem, about that "easy to propogate"...what time of year might propagation take place and what might I interest you in for a 'start' of that beauty ? I have seeds(I can try to find something you don't already have--pink maltese cross, lavender ?), DL seeds and DL's.

Hey, Cathy!

I prefer semi-hardwood after the weather warms up a bit more.

Don't let me forget! Send me a reminder in June!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thank you !!! I'll do that .

Loropetalum is different from Witch Hazel and, sorry folks, only grows in zones 8-10. How do I know this? I saw some when watching a program on HGTV and became instantly covetous. Alas, not for here. Ann will have to post frequent pictures if we in the north are to enjoy it.

Give the ground a chance to warm up a little, and you may see many more of your plants. We've only "felt" like spring for a few days, and it is still very cold. I haven't toured the yard for a few days, so cannot report on what I see. I saw nothing about a week ago.

Happy spring, everyone, and thanks, Ann, for the preview. Your flowers are lovely!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast