+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why the Scraggly Hyacinth blooms ?

Blog Entries

Why the Scraggly Hyacinth blooms ?

Any idea what would contribute to scraggly underdeveloped hyacinth blooms from bulbs that made beautiful blooms last year ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

They do that here every time. At least a few come back, but they are not nearly as pretty as they were the first year. I always just figured it was due to our hot, humid and wet summers.

At least a few do come back. In my experience, tulips never come back here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    From my understanding, Hyacinth bulbs are field grown under optimal conditions, with lots of water and bloom building fertilizers throughout their growing season. Any that attempt to bloom are quickly dis-budded so all their strength is forced into giving the very best blooms the first season after being sold.

It would, therefore be very beneficial to try to recreate these conditions as much as possible in your own gardens. Now I am not abdicating cutting off bloom spikes as they appear, but I am saying that you should try to fertilize them as much as possible using a blossom-builder formula while they are still in growth during the Spring and by applying a good does of both bone meal and blood meal in the fall, scratched and watered into the soil.

In warmer climates (Zone 7 and higher/warmer) you could also try planting them deeper, so the roots develop in cooler soil.

Tulips, on the other hand are very much dependent on cold winters to be able to do their best and return each year. Unfortunately, even here in the more northern latitudes, they tend to decline after the second blooming season. About the only remedy is to dig them up after the foliage dies back, and replant them in nursery rows where you can fertilize them and build them back up. Any that developed flower buds the first Spring after being moved to nursery rows would have to be cut off before they had developed very much. After a couple of years, you could move them in the fall into a regular bed or just leave them and use as cut flowers. Then, every second year or so you'd be digging them up, dividing the bulbs and re-setting them. Seems a lot easier and much cheaper to just plan on buying and planting new bulbs every couple of years.

Daffodils and Narcissus, on the other hand, are just about perfect for naturalizing and only require being lifted and divided when they get so crowded that bloom count dwindles.

Unfortunately, Tulip, Hyacinth and Daffodils just don't do well south of zone 7, they really need cold winters and the deep rest that comes with the cold ground.

It's one of the trade-offs we all deal with, where certain plants are at their best in certain parts of the country. What we can grow here, won't necessarily grow "down south" and vice versa!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Daffodils do great here. I have never had a problem with them as long as they get planted in the fall. They get no special care except to let the leaves die naturally before removing.

They tend to go to seed, though, and the seeds do not necessarily go where you want them to go.

I guess we get just enough cold for Daffs, but not nearly enough for Hyacinths and even less with Tulips. Tulips never come back in my garden. Hyacinths do, but they look as Cathy described.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread