+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mobile Botanical Gardens Spring Sale 2005

Mobile Botanical Gardens Spring Sale 2005

I stopped by the gardens on the way home today and went to the opening event. They offer wine and refreshments, but I truly wish they had offered hot chocolate and coffee. It was chilly, breezy and damp.

I picked up a few treasures. A few different kinds of Toad Lily, and no, they were no dormant, but lots and lots of plants in each pot.

I was thrilled to find a Peaches and Cream, variegated brugsmansia. It is ever so small, but for the price, and the fact that I wanted one, I am thrilled.

I saw a red cross vine, but I have to tell you that I liked my old one that died after the hurricane better, so I will keep looking.

Oh, I bought a variegated Clerodendrum Thomsoniae (spelling corrected), and I surely hope it will do well. The foliage is beautiful. And... a very small variegated Red shrimp plant which is as cute as a pie.

Then I spotted it! A group of potted and bloomng Amaryllis. All of the tags said 'Assorted', so I left. But I came back, and I noticed the writing on a pot that said 'DB Picotee'. I looked at the pot, and I saw 3 bulbs, and each bulb had a flowering stalk. I gulped, and I told myself I would be a fool to pass up a chance to get 3 flowering size bulbs of Double Picotee for the prices they were being offered. I bought it!

Today was day one, and tomorrow is another day. Did I say that the gardens are on my way home? You bet, I will stop again tomorrow, and venture around a bit more and visit with friends.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up to have my newly acquired plants loaded into the car and the person there to help was an old friend, a retired manager from Scott Paper. I had seen him at one of the Master Gardener programs and was delighted to chat with him today!

Yep, it is spring, but COLD tonight! It's supposed to get down around 40 degrees,and I saw absolutely no sun today, so I didn't get any pictures at the opening.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh Ann ! How absolutely fantastic ! How unusual to see good prices at any kind of a show/sale. My goodness, they even had a loading service ?! Must be that good old southern genteel way of doing things ! I must laugh at the thought of the combination of wine and a plant sale..who-wee! I'm a cash gal but I'd be breaking out the old credit card before I knew it and having them tying plants to the roof of my car !
    I'm so glad you found treasures !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

It is quite organized. This is the opening night, and you have to pay to get in so that you get first choice.

In any event, they always have lots and lots of wagons and wheel barrows to haul your goodies to the counter to purchase. They pull the colored tags from each plant, tally them on a tally sheet, then you pay for it with check or YIKES! credit card. The load is taken to a bin, then you head to your car with nothing.

Once in your car, you drive by the bins and there are a couple of gentlemen waiting to load your car with the goodies waiting in your bin. My bin was bin 'B' and there was no mistaking on my part. That is for sure!

I was there early, and I didn't see anyone interested in the wine. I have a feeling, it all went back to the coolers.

The rest of the show is not private (Friday and Saturday) and open to the public, so there won't be any refreshments, but I still wish I had a warm brew that I could have sipped to warm my hands. It was quite 'chilly' for this southern blood.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

You simply MUST get pictures of your newest Amaryllis! It sound like it's going to be a grand addition to your collection! I'm excited for you! Ooh, Ooh! Were the Toad lilies labeled as to which ones they were? Color? Where you gonna put them??? Up here they will take some sun as long as the roots stay cool and moist, just like Clematis!

Clerodendrum Thomsoniaie ?? What's that?

MBG has been doing this for quite awhile to be this organized/

Our Garden and Patio Show is this week, runs 10 days I think, but I won't be going, again ! This is the weekend we round up all the kittens for their trip to the Vet Clinic. I hope to be able to trap Miss Bootsy in the morning before I leave for work. She'll go with me and sit out on the back stoop (covered so she stays calm). Xandra brought me brand, spanking new traps to use and I have so nice smelly tuna to bait them with. Poor babies didn't get much to eat today so they'd be really hungry and more likely to go into the traps to get to the food. Xandra has to make a "dog run" to West Lafayette (45 mi. NW of me) and won't be back until about 3:30, so it looks like I'll have to take a long lunch to get the job done and then keep an eye on everyone until she gets there/here.

Snow crocus are blooming up a storm and I've finally seen the foliage of the Grecian Windflowers. Daffs and tulips are getting there and I'm seeing more and more new growth in the seedling bed. Some of last year's potted seedlings, mostly the evergreens aren't looking too hot, and some may not make it. Won't know for sure until toward the end of next month, weather permitting. I've a lot of clean-up to do in all of the beds and then get started on my post winter inventory.

I have some SPUF Daylily seedlings listed on Tinker's Auction, proceeds go for the Spring Fundraiser. Already have a bid on it @ 2x's the opening bid! Hope it goes even higher! I have or will have other things to list once I am able to get into the garden and I think that may be how I do my selling this year, and I'll donate a % of the proceeds to Tink!

All for now. Don't have too much fun tomorrow/today, Ann!

Rebecca

This needs a name; any ideas?
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks, Rebecca!

It will be a big coooo if it turns out to be the real double picotee. I should make sure that the right people at the gardens are alerted to the fact that the name is hand written (looks like orange crayon) on the side of the pots and not indicated on the actual labels.

These are the Tricyrtis (toad lilies) that I managed to find:

Lightning Strike
    Shimona
    Guilty Pleasure

No yellow ones, but I surely would like to have one!

I am clearing a bed on the morning sun side of my home for these jewels. In the meantime, they will stay in pots and receive lots of moisture.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Variegated 'Java Red' Bleeding Heart Vine

Clerodendum thomsoniae....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tricyrtis - Toad Lily

Shimona....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tricyrtis - Toad Lily

Lightning Strike...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tricyrtis - Toad Lily

Guilty Pleasure...

I hope I am getting all of this correctly!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Peaches and Cream

Brugsmansia....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Re the variegated bleeding heart vine, I am sure that, in addition to myself, any other Zone 6 or less 'Landspronian' would let out a loud WAAAH! upon finding the zone information. I know I did !

http://www.almostedenplants.com/mall...gheartvine.asp

What a lovely plant !!!!!

The toda lilies look very healthy. Do all their flowers look like orchids ? That will be some pretty spot with them grouped together !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-19-2005 at 06:19 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

This is one plant that I have always protected as a 'houseplant' in my zone. They are not hardy here, to my knowledge. Besides, I try to keep them going without dieing to the ground.

The non-variegated one was a cutting/gift from Carolyn, a dear friend that passed away several years ago. Very few people will know how much I miss her.

The variegated version is a treat, and I am especially thrilled to be able to obtain one. It is GORGEOUS!

Carolyn would be proud!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread