+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Brunfelsia pauciflora...

I found a very small potted plant last year. It looked pretty beaten, so I picked it up for very little change.

It's one of those 'marginal' perennials in my area. Most of the time, it would make it. I didn't want to take a chance this year, so I put it in the porch.

It opened its first bloom today, and it is gorgeous. The new foliage is so much prettier this year, and I can see why you have to protect it from mid-day sun. Its foliage is rather delicate.

There are lots and lots mroe buds yet to open, so I thought I would wait and surprise you with the blooms. You see, the blooms change colors with age.

I can't wait until you can see it. A neat little ornamental 'shrub' that can grow quite large in more tropical climates

For now, you will have to wait for pictures yesterday, today and tomorrow...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Flower Size

I suppose you could say that the flower is about the size of a half-dollar. When the flower first opens, it is a brilliant dark lavender/purple color with a white center....

It's a little blurry even though Hunter was holding the stem for me. The wind was blowing quite hard again today.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Second Day

On the second day, the flower will fade to a blotched sort of lavender color. This was taken at the end of the day today, so I am afraid that it is looking like it wants to close. I will have to check to see if they do that in the evening. So many flowers do...

Hopefully, you will be able to see all of this better as the plant matures and is covered with flowers that last three days in three shades. The third day, it will be almost white, thus Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A better picture of a faded bloom...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I don't think these seed pods are ever going to get ripe. I keep watching them, and they keep staying plump and green. There are three pods, and I am waiting, waiting, waiting....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The seed pods turned brownish green, so finally, I harvested them. They never did crack open. There was a white pulp inside and the seeds looked fully formed and like they were no longer feeding on the mother plant.

There weren't that many seeds, maybe 6 per pod, but they were large. They are going to get planted tomorrow. As soon as I am sure we are past the last frost of the year, I will take a couple of cuttings. It's not a large plant, so I can only take one or two.

I think this year, I am going to move it to just a little more sun. When and if the seeds germinate and I have more, I will chance putting the mother plant on the south side of the house with protection. I am not convinced that it is hardy enough to take our winters, but you never know...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yesterday , today --

Did the seeds grow ? I get flowers but no seeds on mine .

You know what?

I haven't tried to sow them yet. I ran out of room in the greenhouse and propagation room, so decided to wait until late September or early October when I can make more room for them. Most likely, I will try the propagation room which is small, has fluorescent lights and does not get too hot like the greenhouse does.

I didn't see any pods on mine this year, either. I do know that I waited more than 6 months and the pods were just starting to turn colors when I harvested them. I searched the internet, but could not find any information on seeds, but that was last year. Perhaps, there is some information now. Have you found any?

I suspect I will have to nick and soak the seeds. They appeared to have a hard seed coat.

I kept the plant protected over the winter. I didn't want to chance losing it until I have succssfully rooted some cuttings. Once I do that, I can afford to chance losing this one. This is one plant that I do not see on the market very often.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread