+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H-Mor and Vermicompost for seed starting ?

Blog Entries

Hu-More and Vermicompost for seed starting ?

Well, the tale of my trip to the Lawn & Garden show is going to unravel as 'threads' here and there on the Board.

I got two samples of soil ammenders today and want opinion as to whether or not it would be wise to mix into soil for daylily seed starting or if I should just use with mature plants: put in a pot with mature plants or just put into the outdoor soil with mature plants.

The first one is Hu-More Alfalfa blended with Humus(derived from composted cattle manure) they say to mix with 4 parts planting mix or garden soil AND/OR top dress or mulch with 1/2 inch-work into existing soil. It has: balanced nutrients, organic matter, trace minerals, beneficial microorganisms**(see below), iron triacontanol(the natural plant growth stimulator from alfalfa)

The second one is Vermicompost (worm castings).

Would you use either in seed starting(daylilies) ?

**Re the critters in Hu-More: One species of microbe, the mycorrhizal fungi, grow into or between the cells of the roots. In return for energy which they take from the plant, the mycorrhizal grow out and search far and wide for nutrients and moisture to feed the plant so it can continue to manufacture more and more carbohydrate energy. A plant colonized with the mycorrhizal fungi found in Hu-More will have the equivalent of ten times more root mass.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-05-2005 at 02:25 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh, yummy!!!

I think you could plant directly into either, but it would be a waste. I would add some of each to the planting medium to spread it out a little. The alfalfa product is food with very beneficial organisms. Worm compost is just about the most wonderful stuff in the world. Loaded with all kinds of goodies, and the stuff you get when you worm compost your kitchen garbage. I think both are realtively benign as far as "heat" is concerned.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sandi ! That seemed to be the advice from the Hu-More raving fan from the club. She kinda poo-pooed the earthworm castings.
    But I believe in earthworms ! And think I will try a little of both.
    Of course, money money money is always the deciding factor on how extensively any of these goodies will be used--isn't it
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread