+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Purple Majesty Millet

Now, that they are getting more sun, the leaves are really turning dark. So, now we know that full sun is the key to them turning purple.

I now have 5 plumes, and sorry, but they are all still in the deep cell paks. It's been one thing after another around here. After all this rain and flooding, tomorrow should be a perfect time to plant them.

I am trying to grow them this year to produce more seeds, and it looks like that is what they intend to do!

I just don't understand why they are so expensive. I haven't seen any purple majesty plants at the market, either.

Nice plant....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Nope. Didn't get them planted.

But here is a picture of one of the plumes....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Numerous plumes on this grass is quickly formng seeds.

No time to take a picture today, but I actually have a 4 day weekend and hope to get some pictures.

I am still in awe that the price of seeds is so high when they produce an abundant supply of seeds so quickly.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Speaking of Purple Majesty Millet

I don't know why the seeds of this grass are so expensive either but it seems the price goes up each year. And they are so darn easy to grow too. I have plenty of seed if anyone has anything to trade that I don't already have
    They certainly don't need to be pre-germinated though. I planted some in pots last week that sprouted in 3 days.
    What I did last year worked out real well.
    Spacing each seed about 1 inch apart, I planted them in 6" pots of damp potting soil. I don't even cover the seed just press them gently into the moist soil. That's about 35 seeds per pot. Didn't even cover the pots with plastic. Stuck them under my flourescent light set up.
    When they're up about 5" or so, I turn the pot upside down, gently rapping the pot in my hand to release the root ball. Break or cut apart the root ball into fourths and plant in the ground. At first I was afraid the seeds would be planted to close together but I saw them in a nursery last season planted that close together, so I figured if it was good enough for them it was good enough for me. You can always space them out more when you move them to plant outdoors. Actually, I think I did break apart some of those fourths more to space out and had none of them 'complain'. They were beautiful! As Ann mentioned, the leaves will not turn burgandy until they are outdoors in direct sunlight. The more direct sunlight, the deeper in color they grow.

Becki
    beckiblair@hotmail.com
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Thanks, Becki!

Aren't they nice? I had started a lot of them last year, but they were goners after the hurricanes.

Now, if I could just find those seeds again, I'll start some more. I'm sort of anxious to see how long the seeds keep.

I simply do not understand why they are so expensive...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Yes, I'd be interested to see how viable the old seeds are too but if you want any fresh ones, just holler!

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Becki,

Please hang to a few for me, just in case. I have a feeling I will find them when I have time, but who knows.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Becki,

You don't have to hang on to those seeds for me. I have some in the process of ripening, and right now there is no storm out there to interfere.

I'll definitely bring this one inside if one does start to brew. I have numerous huge plumes (about 12" long X 1" wide), a couple of which have ripening seeds.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Purple Majesty Millet

No problem, Ann.
    Ya know I mentioned that I had started some seeds indoors in the very early spring that germinated in 3 days. I planted them out about a month ago and planted some additional seeds outdoors the same day. It's weird, but the seeds I planted outdoors have surpassed the indoors started seeds in height. I think from now on, I'll just plant them all out to begin with! Live and learn...

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

The leaves are looking a little ragged right now. I suppose that is due to it getting overdry a few times AND I am letting them go to seed.

Still, I thought you might want to get an idea of how large and dark the leaves get...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wow ! Nice and big and healthy. I planted two pots and they just pooped out on me I think it was due to temperature fluctuations. I have two sprigs that are in suspended animation right now.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2