+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purple Majesty Millet

Purple Majesty Millet

I bought one of these plants a couple of years ago. The seeds are really expensive, but the plant wasn't that expensive. It produced hundreds, if not thousands of seeds.

I had hoped to try some seeds last year, but there was no time, and I didn't want to lose them. Sunday, I decided to try a 'few' of them in a container of vermiculite. The container was placed in a 2 gallon ziploc to make sure that humidity was retained.

3 days later, I had 1 inch seedlings. Tonight, they are hitting the top of the container. I can't remember what came in that container. Perhaps cookies or cupcakes from a church function, but I truly don't know...

Anyway, the seedlings are green now. I was advised that the center of each leaf will start turning burgandy, then the whole leaf will turn purple after they are set outdoors in the garden.

I surely hope these will make it. I would love to have tons of these seeds. I don't understand why the seeds are so expensive when they obviously do not have short viability span.

Anyway... Here is a picture of what they look like now!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    OK Ann this is just plain weird ! I just , last night, purchsed some
    BLACK MILLET aka Pennisetum glaucum aka Purple Majesty !
    They were $1 for 20 seeds.

Thank you for the growing info and photo !

I'll try to attach a photo of a grown up one so everyone knows why we are ga-ga over them !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-04-2005 at 07:29 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Black Millet

Black Millet:
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Black Millet Head(Why it's called Purple Majesty)
    Attached Images  

Actually, the catail like plume is the real selling feature of this plant. It's NEAT!

The plant I purchased was root bound. They say that is a no-no, but it did fine in my garden. The leaves weren't deep purple as you see in the pictures, but I hope that these grown from seed will be darker.

Irregardless, I enjoyed watching it grow. As soon as I harvest one plume filled with seeds, there were more starting to ripen.

The seeds are extremely easy to harvest. I just let the whole plume dry, then rubbed my fingers across the 'fuzz' and seeds started falling off (along with fuzz).

After I was sure they were thoroughly dried, I stored them in a ziploc bag where the rest of them are awaiting being planted.

Deep purple leaves or not, this are a really pretty grass (a lot prettier than Pampas Grass).

Strange thing, though. There were only a few in the garden center when I spotted them. I had never heard of them before. Everyone in Walmart was in awe asking where I found it. Last year, I did not spot any of them for sale.

Cathy, they appear to be easy. We will see...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I don't believe that I will sow these in a community flat again!

I had lined the container with paper towel, and that was a no-no!

These babies grow WAY TOO FAST! The roots are already embedded in the paper towel. We will see if they survive having the ends of their roots severed as well as being transplanted.

I think that I will sow the rest of them directly in tray cells and put them in the old greenhouse (after the weather warms).

Still, it is fun to see something grow this fast!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I will be trying the 'Purple Majesty' millet, too this year from seed. Although I will winter sow them. Sure wish I had some setup to get some of the seeds I've acquired going sooner.
    But the crawl space idea didn't really work out. May be some adjustments I can make, I'm still pondering it.

The nursery not to far from me had these last year, in one gallon pots for 5 bucks. A few weeks later they were marked down to 2 dollars. I was wishing I'd bought at least one, but I tend to spend the few dollars I have available on perennials.

They are gorgeous!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

More Purple?

As they grow, I am starting to see more and more burgandy at the base of these seedlings. It is really past time to put them in the garden.

I thought you might want to see...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I am 'sow' behind on my seed planting...purple millet included. Thanks for the reminder. Have you ever used the coffee filter method of germinating ?(moisten,sow,fold,grow--Just wondering as I wasconsidering trying)

Cathy,

It seems like I tried that on a few just to see whether they would germinate, but I read somewhere they do not like a lot of transplanting. So, I just put them in damp vermiculite it a plastic container under lights.

I will never do that again, though. Too many germinated, and personally, I don't like having to separate the seedlings and transplant them.

If you will wait until school is out, I will try again.

Oh!

The leaves are starting to turn darker...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Sow(tee hee), it sounds like deep pots or just plant in the ground.

Blog Entries
    Quick question--I plan to sow into deep pots but do I sow multiple seeds per pot. I mean, when you buy them, is what's in the pot multiple plants or just one ?

Size Pots?

How big are the pots?

In 4" or 1qt. pots, I would only plant one or two seeds. You might try 3 in the trade size (gallon) pots.

Also, I have read warnings that you should transplant them before they become root bound.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh, so much for the plan to have 'moveable' millet. I do have all size pots up to 5 gallon pots(maybe bigger)- I guess they may not be too portable at that size. I'll have to ponder on this one. I'm just not sure where to put the millet once it does grow !

Cathy,

Mine are just now getting 'hardened' off, and guess what? They may have not turned completely purple, and they may still be in too small of a pot, BUT.... One has a plume!

I was waiting for rain to soak the ground before planting them, but don't think there is going to be soon enough. So, I will soak with a hose and hopefully get these overgrown babies in the garden tomorrow.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast