+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trash or Treasure?

Trash or Treasure?

A few weeks ago a friend asked me about how to prune a mimosa that was starting to lean out over the sidewalk and street. She was not amused when I told her that there is hardly any way to harm a mimosa here in the deep south. They are considered an invasive weed.

Today I had an email in from a subscription to HGTV's gardening newsletter that gave me a mild chuckle, in view of some of the past discussions here and I thought I would just share it with you. Remember now, I am not the author of the articles.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_o...570657,00.html

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_w...011318,00.html
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Oh well, we love our mimosa here, hummers love them too.
    We grow and sell several of the plants listed. To each his own I guess.
    Have you seen the new mimosas that are around? One has purple leaves. Wery pretty.
    tennessee sue

Ah! I missed this post.

Yes, some plants are beautiful and wonderful in some parts of the country, but invasive and pesty in others. I can certainly attest to that.

My neighbor grows the potato vine, and it is not invasive for him, but I will pluck each and every one that I find sprouting this spring because it LOVES my flower garden and drops potatoes faster than I can harvest them and throw them away.

Mimosa! I love them! I enjoy them in ditches, by the sides of the road, and everywhere that I see them. Friends have dug seedlings and given them to me, but I have managed to kill everyone of them. I am sure I could find several places in my yard for the, but I suspect I will have to grow them from seed.

Today, when I opened the plastic on my porch, my jaw dropped as I saw how badly this houseplant had taken over a portion of my shade bed. I thought I had pulled all of it up, but it thrived despite my efforts. In fact, it thrives outside, just not this bad.

It escaped a huge pot a few years ago. If I had known, I would never have grown it. The variegated version and purple versions are not nearly as invasive here. Wandering Jew...

Sue, I bet the purple Mimosa is a beauty, and I still have your purple lady banks which needs to somehow be shipped to you.... I haven't forgotten, just swamped with school stuff!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks for the links Tom. I have quite a few plants listed on those lists. But have not been having a problem with them.
    I just love the butterfly bushes, to think they are invasive weed. Geez!
    I passed the links on to another forum I belong to.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Well Vicki,

That was the whole point of my sending the references. A lot of the things that grow like weeds in one part of the world, are almost impossible to grow in others. I just find it amusing when someone expresses difficulty growing things that are really easy and sometimes invasive in our part of the world. Yes, I'm easily amused!
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread