+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New camera

Smile New camera

Well I finally took the plunge and bought myself a digital camera. I got the Kodak easyshare cx7430. 4 megapixel with 3x optical zoom. I got a 'free' camera dock with it.
    The camera retails for 199.00 and the dock would have been 80.00. I'm so excited, can hardly wait for the flowers to bloom! Here I sit looking at 10" of new snow. Yuck!
    At least I will have a camera to take pics at the Chicago Show.
    Last year this camera sold for almost 400.00, which I could never afford. Still need to learn how to use it, but it very user friendly.
    Here's my first pic:
    My Mom's friend Evelyn that passed away jan. 28th was having my Mom overwinter her tropical hibisicus for her. So she inherited it. It has about 8 buds on it along with this beautiful bloom.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- Sounds like a great buy !
    Although I, um-er, hubby, has a digital camera, I am still learning how to use it. I found this link and thought I'd share it. Notice at the very top where the row of ad-like boxes are, one says TUTORIALS. It looks like it has some useful info.
    I have an Olympus and the only thing I really don't like is that you have to insert the photo strip into a special diskette in order to download rather than just plugging the camera into a USB port and downloading. This inconvenience is the reason why most of my pix don't end up on Landspro cause I have to ask hubby for the special diskette which he keeps locked in a disk case and then I need him to show me what to do after that--have to open into Paint Shop(or something like that). Since he doesn't use the camera anymore, the process isn't that fresh in his mind so it's kind of a hassle. Right now I'm trying to find new strips or I absolutely have to download/save what's on the strip so I can take more photos.

http://www.photoxels.com/
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-02-2005 at 07:24 AM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Vicki,
    Congratualtions on the new camera, I think you will really enjoy it.
    Take a LOT of pictures, practise with a digital is really cheap.

In the setup on the camera you should find a setting for picture size, or some such. The picture delivered was set at 32"wX24"h and was larger than the computer screen.

I have reduced it to 8X10 and will try to post it again. Lets see how that works.

An additional hint. Back light will cause the object in front to be out of focus, and not well defined, and if you are using auto flash, the backlight will cause the camera to not flash. With practise you will get the hang of lighting.

Keep at it, and make sure you have plenty of media for your trip. In the meantime, take LOTs of photos. Try different settings on the same object. You are going to LOVE that camera!
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,
    Yer, right need to practice! LOL! Don't know why it looks like that, it looked fine on the puter. I only had a few minutes to take the pic, had to take my son to guitar lessons. I knew it was huge, but thought I resized it with infranview.

Is this size any better?
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Practice, practice, practice. Also read the manule!

If your camaer has settings for "whitelight', set for daylight when outside and this will help with under exposures. Also, try using "fill-flash" This will darken the back ground, but give a brighter foreground.
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Did anyone notice that the hibiscus is absolutely stunning?

Be sure to frequently save your photos to a disc. I did not, and all the pictures I had taken of my lilies, my wonderful trip to Italy, a person who has since died, etc. were all lost in the hard drive crash. Lesson learned.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Gorgeous double, Vicki!

I am so excited about your new camera. I am sure you will figure yours out faster than I will figure out mine.

Enjoy the tropical hibiscus! Actually, the doubles are my favorites, and that one is a BEAUTY!

I can't wait to see more pics!!!! I especially want to see pictures of your garden as it wakes up in the spring!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Been practicing with my camera. Just love it.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Well geez, maybe this is a better size.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Such beautiful ladies, you are!

And get those EYES!!! Now, I am green with envy! I adore blue eyes, and since blue is my favorite color, I always wished that I had them.

Alas, the only one of us siblings who inherited the baby blues is my little sister, Alice.

BTW, did I mention that after waiting 15 years to have her second child, she has decided to have a third one? Alice is expecting a little girl on June 2. She is having a much easier time with this one (so far, knock on wood and pray a LOT)!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Vicki!

How great it is to put a face with the name, and such a lovely face at that! So nice to "meet" you!

(Resizing images for posting to forums: Best size for tall images is 350 pixils wide and for wide images, I go with 450 pixils, sometimes 500. If you don't have Irfanview, GET IT! Very easy to use and results are great!)

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann & Rebecca,
    Thank you for the compliments. Blue eyes do run in the family.

Congrats to your sister for her new baby. Wow, she is brave to have waited so long. I'm glad I got 'fixed' after my Jordan (12) was born, or I'd probably have a dozen instead of just 5! LOL! But now that the grand babies are here, sometimes it's just like having my own, when their Momma
    works. Plum tucker me out after 8 or 9 hours. LOL! But such a joy.
    Rebecca, I do have infranview and used that for the pic of me. Much easier than the clunky Kodak software.
    Have a great day!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread