+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whoops!

Whoops!

A light frost is forecasted for tonight. Actually, they forecast 34-35, but in my microclimate, that means 30-32 degrees F.

It seems to be a lot better since the huge privets in the neighboring land (a wholesale nursery). After being topped by Ivan, they don't trap the cold air like they used to do.

Still, I covered perennials that have sprouted and grown, such as Thunbergia Battiscombie and some of my cannas. I know that both would make it even though bitten back by frost, but I would love to have earlier blooms.

The azalea blooms will be affected, but many are just now budding out, so they will be just fine!

Still, I am ready for chance of frost to be OVER!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I agree. One minute the weatherman is predicting lows below 32 and the next minute he's at 33 degrees for lows. We are having spordic 50 degree or more days but they see-saw with 40's for highs. Tonite I bubble-wrapped the outsides of 8 5 gallon pots with lily bulbs inside(I already had 5 others). One silly Gran Paradiso bulb is shooting up like it's summer ! They are along a south wall. Two daffy daffs are in bloom. They aren't too thrilled and have their little heads down(I suspect in embarassment for blooming too soon !)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Looks like some of you are getting snow!

I bet that is pretty, and it's must be nicer than these foggy mornings and dreary cloudy days that we have been getting.

Still, I know that everyone is ready for greenery and spring.

For those of you who hibernate during the winter, it won't be long before signs of spring are moving northward.

After this cold front, I surely hope to be sending warmth your way so that you can thaw out and get ready for spring color!

Thinking about you all, knowing that you have a longer wait than me!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I've got pear and plum trees in partial bloom, and the temp is supposed to drop to 27 tonight. I hope it doesn't knock off all the buds as well.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,

I thought about you and your fruit trees when I saw the forecast. I hope no damage was done.

It did get down to 34 degrees here, but I could find no frost anywhere this morning. We are expecting a lot of rain tonight, but no more frost are forecasted for the next two weeks.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I did cover the Thunbergia B. and the cannas, but everything else had to fend for themselves.

I am so very, very ready to take this plastic off the porch and start moving plants outside to harden off...

I am ready to spend time in my garden and watch everything grow!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

At 25 degrees this morning at 7:00am, I'm fairly sure all the open buds were lost, but it may be a few days before we will know about those that were still in bud. There were only about 5% of them open so I was not concerned enough to go out and check.

The buds have a habit of sticking on the plant and, like frosted fruit, may turn dark in the center before showing any hint of damage on the outside.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread