FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: February Blooms

When they first open, they are red...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That compost pile in the background?

Well, it is about to get a dose of Roundup! Weeds, love the compost pile in the winter!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Speaking of red

These little beauties have gone mostly unnoticed by most people. These are the developing seeds on a water maple. I found these on a low growing branch, but an ajacent tree, that is over 50' tall has the entire canopy covered with them. Unfortunately they are very far away, and a picture, even with the camera's magnification cannot pick up the view.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Just a few feet away

Here are some developing Elm seeds. Here again, it is a very tall tree, and the only picture had to be on this low growing brance. It is amazing to stand benieth either of these trees, during this brief period in spring and look up at a near solid canopy.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    How nice that you can see some of them at eye level. They are both pretty pictures. The elm seeds look like they have frost on them(I guess that is some kind of wind gliding coating). It's fun to see all the different ways Mother Nature finds to transport the seeds !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Tom,

It's always so neat to see the seed pods hold on during the winter. Good Pics!

I always have lots and lots of Confederate Rose seed pods, but I've never gotten around to actually trying to grow them from seed. They are so simple to grow from cuttings. Mama informed me last night that when she moved, she didn't bring a cutting of Grandmother's confederate rose, but no problem -- this is one passalong that she can get plenty of from me. She wants the one that is doubled, solid pink.

Here's what a very ripe confederate rose seed pod looks like (this one is on a rooted cutting. The others are too high to get a good picture):
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Paperwhites are now in full bloom. Daffodils are just starting to bloom here. Daylily fans are popping up everywhere. More on those on the daylily forum.

I tried to take a picture of a large clump of Paperwhites, but the sun is too bright. Here's a bloom from one of the bulbs (shaded by me).
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Other Blooms

Camellias are blooming all over town. I see a few azaleas trying to show early signs of blooming. The Carolina Jasmine is blooming. The variegated vinca is starting to bloom and the lavender lantana which is right next to the southern facing brick wall never stopped blooming.

Redbuds are blooming around every corner, and I've spotted a few 'tulip' trees getting ready to bloom.

The garden centers are filled to the brim with garden supplies, bulbs, roses, plants of all sorts and you name it. EVERYONE is ready for spring to be here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Report from Lake Marion South Carolina; Camelias, daffodils, Carolina Jessamine is in bud waiting for a few warm days. Pansies of course have been blooming all winter. A friend from Ohio is coming down first week in April I am hoping azalias will wait until she gets here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2