+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: February Blooms

February Blooms

Hey, Everyone!!!!

This past week, I watched my daffodil blooms starting to open. The paperwhites are almost in full bloom. Tulip trees are in bloom all around town. Even though my neighbor's redbud has not started blooming yet, I see others in landscapes that have been in full bloom for more than a week.

The old canning pear tree has blooms starting to open. My yellow jasmine is starting to be filled with blooms.

Even though you don't see them in landscapes around here very much, I have seen a few forsythia in bloom.

The variegated vinca (perennial) is in bloom, and I see that some of the blooms of my lavender lantana have managed to escape the cold spells by leaning up against the brick.

More and more daylilies are beginning to emerge from dormancy.

Buds have formed on the dogwood trees, so it will not be long before those open.

Yikes! I even saw a few blackberry blooms.

Yep, spring is in the air!!!!! It is warming up today after a cold front, and thankfully, it was not cold enough to damage any of these blooms.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    While doing a walkabout in the back yard, and moving pots from on top of where the Grecian Windflowers should be coming up I happened to glance over the the south patio's corner bed and what to my amazed eyes did I see. . . . . a bright yellow snow crocus. . . in bloom! I've been seeing little patches of crocus foliage here and there for about a week, but I sure didn't expect to see one blooming, at least not for another week! It's been really cold (not frigid like a couple weeks ago) the past couple of nights and we will be getting a couple of inches of snow tonight. Looks like the lone crocus will get to live up to it's name (SNOW crocus), perhaps a couple of others close to this will open with the snow. That would make a nice image!

The snow is coming during the overnight hours and then changing to rain, the high tomorrow is to be around 45, so the snow won't last very long. (Good, because I am sick of it and the cold too!)

The rapid freeze thaw is playing havoc with my garden markers, especially the ones in the seedling bed. Have one totally out of place (thankfully I do have a map!) Seems I'm pushing them back down every other day or so.

Daffodils are popping up all through the "Bulb Bed", can even see some foliage trying to grow on the dormant daylilies. All of the evergreen daylilies look ghastly and it is much too soon to do any trimming on them.

I've been pulling the dead leaves off of the bearded iris and haven't seen any problems with them, yet. The two I should have gotten lifted and divided last year but didn't will have to be done as soon as I can work the ground or I won't see any blooms from them.

Squire Squirrel is up to his old tricks of digging in the potted plants; I've had to doctor a couple of them already. At least he isn't messing with the seedlings.

Oh! yea! I have a crocus blooming!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

We have a fairly mild winter here. The crocus are starting to bloom. The daylilies and oriental lilies in the unheated greenhouse are starting to emerge.
    My beautiful little miniature iris are in bloom. They bloom even before the crocus. The purple ones bloom first then the yellow then the blue. I love them. They are so little and tough.
    tennessee sue

Six inches of snow here!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Oh how I wish!

That spring was getting here, but we received about 8" of new snow yesterday. Yuck!
    I have one plant in bloom. It is a cyclamen that I received from a dear family friend's funeral a few weeks ago. It is beautiful with dark green leaves with silver splashes on the leaves and deep pink flowers. I cut the flowers off and they keep coming. A little bit of cheer in this dreary landscape.
    My Mom and her recently departed friend Evelyn, were friends for 62 years! She will be dearly missed. She was also one of the people to get me started gardening. Shared all her beautiful flowers with me. When spring gets here and the iris are all in bloom, I know she'll be smiling down on me. Last fall she also gave me 13 different kinds of daffidols. A couple hundred or so. I was able to plant nice clumps of all of them. Not to mention all the daylilies she also shared with me. She also had lots of gardening knowledge to pass on to me and she surely will be missed.
    I can hear her saying "now kiddo don't be sad, live life to the fullest, cause you never know what tomorrow will bring."
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

Sounds like both your Mom and you lost a good friend, It was so nice of her to share her garden and knowledge with you, now, every time you are in your garden she will be with you, be it your outdoor garden or your indoor garden.

I feel that way toward my Grandmother, who also gardens in Heaven these days. I learned so much from her, and definitely got my love of plants from her.

My deepest sympathies for your loss, she will live on in your heart and your garden.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ah! Those treasured memories... I have quite a few of those myself from my grandmother and others. This is especially true this time of the year when I start seeing plants obtained so many years ago start to emerge and/or bloom once again.

We are experiencing near record highs (80 degrees). I see more and more perennials starting to break ground every day. Some of my shrubs are starting to leaf out.

It's still too soon to know whether we will go the next few weeks without a frost, but I have to tell you that I am trying hard to figure out the best way to fix this plastic so that I can roll it up and let in fresh air and more sunlight. I could also start moving a few of the hardier shrubs (from cuttings) so that they can start hardening off and prepare for being placed in the garden. Still, I have to be able to buckle them up quickly if there is a sudden forecasted frost.

These last few weeks are hard. I get so, so very impatient.

I am READY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Old Pear

took a beating during Ivan, but it is still very much alive.

There aren't very many blooms, so there won't be very many pears. Lots and lots of leaves are budded out, though!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Daffodills

More and more are opening...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Variegated Perennial Vinca...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lavender Lantana that survived numerous nights of 25-28 degrees because of the brick and being on the south side...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Miniature daffodils...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Paperwhites are fading and forming seed pods. The foliage is also starting to fall over.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I thought you might want to see what the ole canning pear tree looks like now.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I surely wish that the leaves wouldn' t get those black spots and start to fall, but whatever the problem is, the tree doesn't seem to have suffered severely.

Here are the pretty new leaves....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast