+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propagate Calla Lilies

Propagate Calla Lilies

Last year I bought a white calla lilie can some one tell me how to make several more from this one.I asume it was grown from a bulb.
    Gene
    Gene

Calla Lily Propagation from Seed and Bulb

Gene,

One of the new www.landspro.com sections that is pending completion is a Calla Lily section. Last summer, I missed the opportunity to get a photo of a ripe Calla Lily seed pod, so I am waiting for another opportunity before I make it part of Landspo.

However, you are welcome to see what I have already put together. Hopefully, it will help. Just click below:

http://www.landspro.com/page2400.htm

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have my calla lillies in a pot in my goldfish pond under water it has green leafs they never have died back.Maybe I need to pull them up and put them in the green house and maybe let them die back .Could I go ahead and pull it out and break it apart,no
    Gene
    Gene

About Calla Lilies

Gene,

The calla lily is native to Africa and naturalizes in moist, boggy soils. Some of the ones on the market today are hybrids, and each one may have slightly different requirements than others.

The bulb book that I have says that they need to be allowed to dry out after blooming. I dug up mine after the foliage died because I wanted to plant something else in that spot. I am waiting until spring to plant them in their new spot. Meanwhile, they are in the garage in a dry area in a dormant state.

If you purchased yours in a pot, you might want to gently remove them from the pot and check to see if there is more than one bulb. Usually, they use smaller size (less expensive) bulbs in these pots and put at least 2-3 in a 5-6 inch pot. If this is the case, you can repot them in separate pots to give them more room to grow.

I am not sure that I would try to cut or break them unless they are dormant. It might work just fine, but I'd be afraid of fungus or rot setting.

Good Luck and let us know how they do...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you Ann. I plan on pulling the lillies out of the pond today and letting them Dry out. I never did see no seed pods last year maybe it'll take a couple of years before they come
    on. Gene

PS These were pretty costly can't wait to get them propagated
    Gene

Unusual Seed Pods

Gene,

The seed pods are not what one would expect. In fact, I wasn't even sure if these seeds would germinate. As the flower drooped, the seed pod never dried up. I decided to try them anyway and was surprised when they germinated. I plan to hand pollinate some this summer so that I can get pictures.

The bulbs are less expensive if you buy them at your local retail garden center in a dormant state. However, in this state, it is hard to determine which side is up and which side is down. That is why I decided to take pictures and do a section on them.

I noticed that Park Seed actually has 10 seeds for $1.95 of the pink variety if someone wants to give them a try.

Good Luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann thank you so much to, for the information also.I pulled them upand boy were they rootbound letting them dry out in the green house and will try seperating them in a month or so
    Gene
    Gene

africa boggs

the bogs in africa do dry out ,when the spring rains come there is a natural rebirth going on.
    makes sense doesnt it .
    hope that helps

Thanks, Shepp!

Yes, Shepp, that does make sense. It pays to know your plants and their natural habitats. Thanks for the info...

Also, I saw a piece of HGTV's Gardener's Journal, and wouldn't you know it, the lady being interviewed was from Ontario and she had a Calla Lily in a pot submerged in water. There were rocks on top of the pot to keep the soil from floating. Gives me lots and lots of ideas for mine!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann
    I use sandy dirtand than put lava rocks on top the sany dirt will keep the plant down use the lava rocks for decoration the top of the pot was probably 6 to 8 inches below the water line.
    Gene
    PS If you don't have a goldfish pond build one ours is in back the nights when it is cool we left the bedroom window ,Sound like a minuture ocean talk about sleep.Its really a great place to get your thought together also.I saved a fortune on mine compare to most
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread