+ Reply to Thread

Thread: used fiberglass end walls

used fiberglass end walls

I have and would like to purchase more used fiberglass panels(very cheap) for my end walls and short curtan walls for my poly houses and shade houses. My question is the panels are used and very yellow, by painting them(I dont need the lite transmition) will this stop the uv deteriation so I can get several more good years out of them?

Trent
    Bakersfield CA

Trent,

Did they tell you how old the panels are and if they were in full sun?

My little greenhouse is enclosed in fiberglass panels. I am very pleased with how long the panels have lasted. But... After many, many years, the glazing over the fiberglass has worn, and if you look closely, you can now see the actual fibers exposed. This makes it difficult to keep the panels clean. The fibers collect all kinds of mildew, etc.

Now, after so many years, the panels are starting to crack, but they are still functional. They are cracking a little, but not so bad that I can't deal with it another year.

I'm not sure I would ever paint mine. In the winter, my greenhouse needs light for warmth. I normally keep plants in there all year, and despite our warm temps of above 90 (rarely above 92), the plants love the humidity. I simply open the windows and door and use a cheap fan to circulate the air. I also use a mist system for moisture, but even without that, the plants simply need to be kept moist.

I guess a lot just depends on the price of the used panels, but I must say, my little old greenhouse has lasted for more years than expected, and I am pleased.

Unfortunately, I have to replace my panels soon because they are showing too much degradation.

Let us know what you decide!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread