+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epiphyllum

Epiphyllum

A couple of years ago, Gary and Arlene (sewfarsewgood) sent me a package with cuttings of the succulent known as Epiphyllum. It was then that I identified a succlent that my mother had given me which were in small clay pots and not very healthy, but still, I had been curious as to what they were.

Gary wrote me and asked if they had bloomed yet. They had not. I moved them to get just a little more sun and gave them a boost of fertilizer, and watered them more often.

Guess what?!?! I see blooms forming! These were cuttings from crosses that their Dad made. I can hardly wait. I am not just talking about a couple of cuttings. They sent me a box full, and they are so large that I considered making cuttings last summer, but I figured, "No, I'm going to wait to see if they bloom."

The amazing thing is that Gary advised to plant more than one in a hanging basket, so I repotted them. The roots are large and gorgeous, but I managed to put several in each hanging basket.

Anyway, it worked!

I will take pictures and invite them to visit as soon as the blooms open.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh! Ann,

You'll think you have died and gone to Heaven when they all beging to bloom for you!

I've had then a couple of times but never had any success with them, but I have seen then, up close and personal, and let me tell you, they are to die for!

I don't have ant problem growing them through the summer, but even with all the plant lights I don't have a good spot for them over the long winter months, even my poor Hoya plants languish in North-East windows over winter, fortunately it seems to be just enough to keep them going until Spring when they get to go outside under the awning on the front porch.

You will be so amazed when you see those Epis bloom!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

What appeared to be a bloom never did anything. Perhaps, it had already bloomed in the winter and I missed it. Who knows....

But I do definitely now have a huge bloom formed. I suspect it will open any day now. I don't see any color showing, so it is most likely white or yellow. That's hard to tell.

I am so excited because these epi's are all looking so grand and happy. I'm charging my camera tonight just to make sure I don't miss it when the bloom opens.

Some of these are hybrids started by Gary and Arlene's dad.

Gosh, this is exciting!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ah! This one is now labeled as Night Blooming. I knew that I had some of those, but the labels were gone.

Since it bloomed last night and stormed during the night, it doesn't look that great today. But as you can see, it is definitely white...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread