+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bulb Day...

Bulb Day...

Well, I hadn't really intended to spend my last day of the Mardi Gras holidays with my bulbs, but I did!

It started with my Calla Lilies which were dug up after the storm. They need more shade, and I knew that I would have to find another spot for them. They are now temporarily in pots. A few had started to sprout, and some had started to dry out too much.

Then their were the Tiger Lilies and Asiatics... I dug them up, and they also will find a safer place that will not be so close to the whacker.

I also had dug and divided some Dahlias which are now in pots for now because they are sprouting, but will find permanent spots in late March. I will take those outside to harden off for full sun on really warm days (more than 2 or 3, less is not worth the move). At least they will get a head start and be able to grow some roots.

Oh, and there are others that still need to be planted out.

I purchased more Gladiolus bulbs. Over the years, mine have dwindled, and I do like them. These have already started to sprout, but it is too soon for them in the ground, and they get too top heavy in a pot, so they will have to wait a few more weeks.

It was rainy and overcast most of the day, so all potting was done on the new back porch and the patio. It was 'hot and steamy', over 70 degrees and the humidity was sky high. It's hard to believe that we are expecting a frost tomorrow night.

Can you tell that I am getting 'Spring Fever' just thinking about it being near?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Six weeks or so till Spring is here, hopefully, and I've got it bad too! Hint" pop those glads into a plastic bag with a sheet of paper towel and put them in the veggie drawer of your fridge. They keep for 6 weeks without any ill affects and won't sprout any more. I have to do that a lot with Spring?Summer planted bulbs and it has been a blessing.

PROMISE is getting closer to blooming and at least two others are starting to scape up, Dazzler and one of the Minerva's. ELVAS is looking like it might do something any day now, same for WHITE CHRISTMAS and a few others who's tags aren't marked yet. With no neighbors in the other apartment, my basement stays a lot cooler than normal so everything is slower to do anything this winter. The amaryllis would normally all be trying to break dormancy by now

Speaking of Glad corms, I think I saw some down in the basement a few days ago that I forgot to plant last year. Will have to check an see if they still have any life left in them. Also need to find my two pots of Calla Lilies and the tuberous begonias saved from last summer.

I've already started to watch for the Spring Bulbs to arrive at Wally World, hopefully they'll have a better selection this year than last (although I won't hold my breath on that one!).

A light frost is nothing, my dear friend: I awoke to 3 inches of new snow Wednesday morning and they say we may have some again this morning. Of course most of yesterdays didn't stay long. We'll get a few more before it's all done and over with. At least one of them will be here in time for High School Basketball Tournaments in mid March! We can make book on that one!

Well, it's time I got to bed!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I have several Amaryllis that I did not force into bloom and are still somewhat dormant. I checked today on a big fat Lady Jane. She looks so healthy, but until now has shown absolutely no sign of a bloom. Then I spotted it, but I was dissappointed It was only a leaf. I immediately thought, my fault! It is definitely root bound. I peaked further, and there it is, a bloom barely peaking through. You know how you can tell... By the thickness of the green emerging...

I remember last year that this one was a spectacular bloom, but it bloomed outside. I don't think it is going to make it that long this time.

I'll try that with some of these Gladiolus corms. I like to plant about a dozen every week of each color. They are spectacular cut flowers. That way, they aren't blooming all at once and then gone! Once planted, they do stay in the ground. Many come back, and babies form. Some don't come back. Too much rain, I suppose. But they are really inexpensive for the show, so that is okay.

It is 43 now and dropping fast. This cheap plastic does not do well down here. I used about 1/4th a roll of duck tape to patch slits in the plastics (many tiny, and a couple really big ones).

I just hope this cheap stuff will hold out for another month, and I hope we do not get a whopping bad freeze right at the end.

My pear tree has already formed buds, and they are starting to open. Let's hope that 30-31 degrees does not make them all drop off or I will have no pears this year.

I had a call at 11:15 today. I had to pick up Hunter at school. Hunter was very sick most of the holiday. We stayed at home the whole time. I let him go to school because he was better, but his temp went up to 101 early mornng despite the children's Advil.

I'll be staying home with him tomorrow... There is nothing worse than a sick child who doesn't understand why they feel so bad. My heart melts for him when he is sick. He is one Mama's baby and really needs me with him.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread