+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seed Days...

Seed Days...

I think I will call Mardi Gras holidays, my seed sowing days! LAS!!!

I sowed many seeds today. Most of them were in tiny plug trays. My plug trays have gotten old, and since I am not filling all of the cells with the same type and/or color of seeds, I decided to cut up one of my plug trays.

I made each section small enough to place inside a quart ziploc. I inserted on label in the ziploc on the outside (to one side) of the tray. Some of these seeds are a couple of years old. Some purchased and some harvested, so I don't know how many will germinate and/or how long it will take.

I'm trying some new things this year. Some are annuals and some are perennials. Some may not take our summer heat, and some will thrive in it.

We will see! Anyway, I hope that most of them will be ready for transplanting either to larger cells, larger pots or directly in the ground by the time we get our spring break during the week of March 28.

I will sow some more tomorrow. We've got an 80% chance of rain, so it is doubtful that I will be able to spend much time outside (which I would rather do).

Then we are supposed to get a light frost on Friday morning. I'm sure that won't be the last one, but I wish...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    You're just a seed planting demon these days aren't you, Ann!

I have extra Hardy Hibiscus seeds and a few other odd balls* if you'd like to try some of them. (These are open pollinated seeds, so could be jusy about any color. Came from Red, white and pinks.)

*Odd Balls
    Dwarf Burning Bush seeds
    Several different colors of Lantana
    Aurilian Lily seed (I think that's what they are, one of the Trumpet types for sure).
    Clematis seeds (Dr. Rupple mostly, bee pollinated)

Let me know ASAP so I can get them out to you while the weather is still fairly cold, good time to send most of this type of seeds. I can't plant them all and I hate to see them so to waste.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes, Rebecca!

I would like to try some of the following:

Aurilian Lily seed
    Clematis seeds

Thanks! Remember, last year I was spending every spare moment on my graduate course work along with some hours that weren't spare (no sleep). I'm glad to take a break from that and be able to PLAY!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I fix up a care package for you and get it in the mail soon, probably not until Monday though.

The lily seed have been stored in the freezer (which is where I was told to put them since I wouldn't be planting them anytime soon - that was a few months ago) so they should be ready to take off.

The clematis seeds still have the "fuzzies" attached, so I suppose you can take them off, or just leave them. They are a hard coat seed too and will probably need a soak. I haven't tried growing any yet but thought it would be a fun side project. Hard to say what will come from them, but I would expect most anything since they are from a hybrid. Same for the Lilium seeds.

I'll email you when they go in the mail!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks, Rebecca!

I definitely have the FEVER!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoops!

Fever has gotten to me....

I tried some seeds in the plug trays. A few are up, but not that many.

However, the paper towel approach for the larger seeds are going too great.

A lot of people have written to me complaining that the moonflower vine seeds are difficult to germinate. Well, I have to tell you that I put some really OLD (year 2001) in a moist paper towel using the baggy approach, and they have ALL germinated!

Now, what do I do? I have all these germinated seedlings in ziplocs, and so little time (until the weekend) to transplant them.

In fact, all of the seeds in the paper towels started one week ago have sprouted. I say all, but that means over 90%.

Go figure!

Still counting the days until spring....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My 'bigger' seedlings have been repotted to tray cells for about a week. They are in the patio, starving for light and leaning, so I suppose I should set up some shop lights for them next year. I have the shelves, so it would simply be a matter of running the wiring.

I have a problem with power on my patio. The circuitry is connected to the recepticals in both bathrooms. The breaker sometimes trips when a hair dryer is running while the electric heater is running in the morning hours. Definitely a job for an electrician. I don't want to try that one on my own...

However, I was thinking about it, and since we rarely have to run the heater during the day, I could turn the shop lights on during the day to give me more space for growing seedlings.

Meanwhile, my seedlings are looking great, but just a little leggy for the next few weeks.

No forecasted frost for the next two weeks, but temperatures forecasted for 38-39 make me nervous. That could easily change to frost with little or no notice.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I know all about "leggy" seedlings! All of the Hosta seedlings are getting leggy because I haven't put them where they need to be - a lot closer to the lights! I now have three hardy hibiscus seedlings that may soon be in the same shape if I don't move them soon. Waiting on Siberian Iris seeds to sprout now and have special cell packs for a few other choice non-daylily seeds to be planted in. They and the bulk of the daylily seeds will end up waiting until Spring and warm weather to be planted. And then, they be planted outside in community pots instead of under the lights in the basement. Space is scarce everywhere this year for some reason.

Ann, I think your plan would work, but perhaps a bigger greenhouse would be better! A heated one. I know I could use one! LAS!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, Do you by any chance still have any lantana seeds. I would love to have some. Would be glad to buy them.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

I believe I may still have some. . . . just looked, and I do ! These weren't removed from the fruits and should be soaked, then gently rub them dry to remove the skin; grow with bottom heat. The canister is labeled "Burgundy Lantana", but they could bloom out in almost any color! I can't guarentee that they will grow, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Email me your address and I'll mail them out on Monday with the rest of the stuff I will be sending out.

Rebecca

PS

I've got some seeds saved from the White Honesty that bloomed so well last year. I can send some of it as well, perhaps it will come true from seed. There are hundres of seedlings that have come up around the original plant, so I don't think I will need these seeds.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread